Choosing and finding limits of integration

In summary: You can now see that the two integrals are the same because the integrand is the same and the limits of integration are the same. That is a general principle: if the integrand is the same and the limits of integration are the same, the two integrals are the same. For some functions, the integral is the same no matter what order you do the integration in. The point is that you can't just "integrate". You have to integrate over a region. That region can be described in terms of x-values and y-values and you have to decide which you want to use first. If, as here, both x and y are restricted by inequalities, you may have to break the
inner08

Homework Statement

For the given region R, find intR f(x) dA. The region has the following points:
(-1,1), (-1,-2) and (3,-2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having problems finding the boundaries for the integral. I know that we have:
-1<=x<=3 and -2<=y<=1.

I can also find the slope that it has and I found: y=-3/4x + 1/4.

From there, I don't know what to do. I know I'm supposed to choose if I want to integrate first, does it matter? or how can I know which one is easier?

I thought I could have something like: int(-1,3) int(1, -3/4x + 1/4) f(x) dA.

Hope someone can help me with this!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you already chosen dy as the inner variable and dx as the outer. You should probably write f(x,y) for the function and dydx for dA. Now for your problem. Why do you think the lower limit for the dy integration is 1?

I just thought..the slope starts at y=1 and then it goes downwards with the -3/4x + 1/4 slope till it reaches the point (3,-2).

The lower limit in y is the lower y value connecting the points (-1,-2) and (3,-2). Did you draw a picture of the region? Always recommended.

So it would simply be -2. Yes I do have the region drawn.

So then I would have...

int(-1,3) int(-2, -3/4x + 1/4) f(x) dA.?

Yes. Now write f(x,y) for f(x) (it's not just a function of x) and dA=dydx (to indicate the order of integration).

I don't mean to sound dumb, but I'm not quite sure I know what you mean. Sorry. Maybe its just late :S

inner08 said:

Homework Statement

For the given region R, find intR f(x) dA. The region has the following points:
(-1,1), (-1,-2) and (3,-2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having problems finding the boundaries for the integral. I know that we have:
-1<=x<=3 and -2<=y<=1.

I can also find the slope that it has and I found: y=-3/4x + 1/4.
The slope of what? You haven't mentioned a line!

From there, I don't know what to do. I know I'm supposed to choose if I want to integrate first, does it matter?
Please, please, please, write what you really mean! You can't possibly mean you want to "choose if I want to integrate first"! What else can you do? You need to choose whether you want to integrate with respect to x or y first.
or how can I know which one is easier?
Try both ways and see! Here it doesn't really matter.

I thought I could have something like: int(-1,3) int(1, -3/4x + 1/4) f(x) dA.
Again, what you are writing makes no sense because you haven't said which variable you are using first! Write either int(x=-1, 3) int(y= 1, (-3/4)x+ 1/4) f(x)dA, or int(-1,3)int 1, -(3/4)x+ 1/4) f(x) dydx or, even better, both: int(x=-1, 3) int(y= 1, (-3/4)x+ 1/4) f(x)dydx.

Hope someone can help me with this!
First, explain what in the world you are talking about! You start by saying "The region has the following points: (-1,1), (-1,-2) and (3,-2)" Do you mean they are the vertices of a triangular region? If so, then you have a right triangle as your region. There are two different ways you can do this.

If you want to do the "dy" integral first, then you choose x-values as constants to cover the entire triangle: x will go from -1 to 3. Now, draw a vertical line through the region, representing the small rectangle you would use, for each x, in setting up a "Riemann sum" for the problem. Clearly, for all x, the lower boundary is on the line y= -1. Also, for all x, the upper boundary is on the line from (-1,1) to (3, -2) which is, as you say, y= (-3/4)x+ 1/4:
[tex]\int_{x=-1}^1 \int_{y= -1}^{(-3/4)x+ 1/4} f(x)dydx[/tex]

If you want to do the "dx" integral first, you do just the opposite: first choose y-values as constants to cover the entire triangle: y will go from -2 to 1. Now draw a horizontal line representing the small rectangle you would use, for each y, in setting up the Riemann sum for the problem. Clearly, for all y, the left boundary is the line x= -1. Also, for all y, the right boundary is on the line from (-1,1) to (3, -2) which you can get by solving the equation above for x: x= (-4/3)y+ 1/3. The integral is:
[tex]\int_{y= -2}^1 \int_{x= -1}^{(-4/3)y+ 1/3} f(x)dxdy[/tex]

1. What is the importance of choosing the right limits of integration?

The limits of integration determine the range over which a mathematical function is integrated. Choosing the correct limits is crucial in obtaining an accurate and meaningful result. Incorrect limits can lead to an incorrect solution or no solution at all.

2. How do I choose the limits of integration when given a graph?

When given a graph, the limits of integration can be determined by looking at the points where the function intersects the x-axis. These points will be the lower and upper limits, respectively, for the integral.

3. Can the limits of integration be negative?

Yes, the limits of integration can be negative. This is often the case when integrating a function over a region to the left of the y-axis. It is important to pay attention to the orientation of the function and the region being integrated over when determining the limits.

4. How do I find the limits of integration when dealing with multiple variables?

If the function being integrated has multiple variables, the limits of integration will also have multiple variables. These limits can be found by considering the boundaries of the region being integrated over and setting up the integral accordingly.

5. What is the significance of the order of the limits of integration?

The order of the limits of integration determines the direction in which the function is being integrated. This can affect the sign of the result, so it is important to pay attention to the order when setting up the integral. The most common convention is to integrate from the lower limit to the upper limit.