Choosing Between Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering: My Journey and Interests

• Engineering
  • Thread starter DanialG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the speaker has a passion for vehicles and science fiction. They were not a dedicated student in high school or community college, but have since developed an interest in art and are now restarting their community college classes to improve their GPA. They are seeking advice on whether to pursue aerospace or mechanical engineering, as well as considering their interest in house building. They also mention being capable in math and receiving advice to focus on improving their grades and joining an engineering club to help guide their decision.
DanialG
I'll start with an introduction, what I've done so far in life to lead me to this choice. I'll start by saying, I love planes, ships, blimps, etc. I'm a big ol' nerd when it comes to anything that reminds me of Science Fiction. The evolution of vehicles astounds me. I like fast.

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't the most hard working student in high school, or community college. I graduated high school 9 of the top 10 of that year, but the school only had a few hundred students graduating. Maybe 190-200 out of 500-800 students. I didn't have the best grades, but to be honest, I'm not stupid, I understand the stuff, I just didn't commit. I didn't go to school everyday, and had a terrible attendance rate throughout the entire 4 years of high school. I took Computer Aided Drafting in High School, and could of gotten a scholarship, but my poor attendance showed that I didn't deserve it, I absolutely agree with their decision.

I took an interest in art, after a year of doing nothing after high school. I went to a community college and took some art classes, which led to me getting my gpa from 3.5, down to 2.4. I didn't commit myself. I learned the stuff, but I never went to class. I thought I wanted to go into art, but really I only wanted the satisfaction of drawing things for myself. I don't want to work with other people in the art field, it was more of a hobby.

So here I am 22, still young, still able. So in May, I restart my Community College classes, getting my gpa back up to where it belongs. Taking misc math classes, science classes, and the rest. My "second chance" if you will, is to pursue the Engineering field, but which one?

I like cars, I like the shape of them, I love how fast they can go. I love shuttles, I love air planes, I love jets, and I love cargo planes. What I'm asking, is for advice for my situation, which would be the better of the two, if not that answer, a little help for deciding, Aerospace, or Mechanical. I also like houses, I love how houses are built. I take a great admiration into anyone who can make an old style house, or a modern style house, but still cut the cost.

Also, I'm not bad at math. When it was taught, I learned it. I just didn't like it that much in high school, but I can get over that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the paths to aerospace engineer and mechanical engineer are basically the same for the first ~2 years, you don't have to decide right away.

I'd advise you to really work on grades - don't let yourself fall into old habits. Also, join an engineering club. It might help you get an idea of which path you'll eventually take.

What is engineering?

Engineering is the field of science and technology concerned with the design, building, and use of engines, machines, and structures. It combines math, science, and practical knowledge to create solutions to real-world problems.

What are the different types of engineering?

There are many different types of engineering, including mechanical, civil, electrical, chemical, aerospace, and biomedical. Each type focuses on a different area of application and requires specialized knowledge and skills.

What skills do I need to switch to engineering?

To switch to engineering, you will need a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. It is also helpful to have an aptitude for hands-on work and a passion for creating and improving technologies.

What steps should I take to switch to engineering?

The first step to switching to engineering is to research the different types of engineering and determine which one aligns with your interests and goals. Then, you can enroll in an accredited engineering program and gain hands-on experience through internships or projects. Networking with professionals in the field and joining engineering organizations can also help you make the switch.

What career opportunities are available in engineering?

There are many career opportunities in engineering, including roles in research and development, design, project management, consulting, and teaching. Engineers can work in a variety of industries, such as aerospace, automotive, construction, energy, healthcare, and technology. With the rapid advancement of technology, the demand for engineers is expected to continue to grow in the future.