Choosing Between Civil Engineering and Regional Development: Pros and Cons

In summary, the individual is interested in pursuing a career in land development and is considering attending the University of Arizona with a full ride scholarship and majoring in Regional Development. They are also considering double majoring in Civil Engineering or minoring in Regional Development. They have also been accepted to the University of Texas at Austin, which has a highly ranked engineering program, but would require paying out-of-state tuition. They are questioning if it would make more sense to attend UT for better job prospects, even though it would cost an extra $30k per year. The individual is also questioning if they want to be an engineer or if an engineering degree is necessary for a career in land development.
dmsenior93
I want to do land development as a job when I am older, possibly get a job with a home building company out of college, or other development company (that builds hotels, offices). I have been accepted to the U of Arizona with a full ride (and iPad :-p) and they have a major called Regional Development in the school of geography which deals with regional planning from what I've read... Would it make sense to double major in Civil Engineering and Regional Development, or maybe just a minor in regional development?

Also, I have also been accepted to the University of Texas at Austin (but paying out of state tuition). Would it be dumb to turn down this school even though it has one of the best engineering programs in the country? ...Basically, would job prospects be much better with a degree from UT than UA to justify the extra $30k/yr?

Physics news on Phys.org
dmsenior93 said:
I want to do land development as a job when I am older, possibly get a job with a home building company out of college, or other development company (that builds hotels, offices). I have been accepted to the U of Arizona with a full ride (and iPad :-p) and they have a major called Regional Development in the school of geography which deals with regional planning from what I've read... Would it make sense to double major in Civil Engineering and Regional Development, or maybe just a minor in regional development?

Also, I have also been accepted to the University of Texas at Austin (but paying out of state tuition). Would it be dumb to turn down this school even though it has one of the best engineering programs in the country? ...Basically, would job prospects be much better with a degree from UT than UA to justify the extra $30k/yr?

The programs are markedly different. Do you want to be an engineer? It's also okay to get an engineering degree and not be an engineer.

Related to Choosing Between Civil Engineering and Regional Development: Pros and Cons

1. What is civil engineering?

Civil engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the built environment, including infrastructure such as roads, bridges, buildings, and water supply systems.

2. What are the different types of civil engineering?

There are several sub-disciplines in civil engineering, including structural engineering, transportation engineering, geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering, and water resources engineering.

3. What skills are needed to become a civil engineer?

Some important skills for a civil engineer include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Good communication and project management skills are also important.

4. What is the role of a civil engineer in construction projects?

Civil engineers play a crucial role in construction projects. They are responsible for designing the project, ensuring that it meets safety and building codes, and managing the construction process to ensure that it is completed on time and within budget.

5. What are some current challenges in the field of civil engineering?

Some current challenges in civil engineering include sustainability and environmental concerns, aging infrastructure, and the integration of new technologies such as artificial intelligence and 3D printing into the design and construction process.