Choosing the Right Fresnel Lens for Automotive Headlamp Projection?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter halcon_nuno
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fresnel Lens
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
halcon_nuno
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I'm working with an automotive headlamp and I was asked to simulate a projection of this lamp onto a wall 25 feet apart. I know I need to use a Fresnel lens as a collector to achieve this, however I have many questions:

1. How should I choose the right Fresnel lens?
2. I need to project a pattern over the Fresnel onto a white screen in a 35 " long table, so I need to decrease the image, can I do this with a collector?
3. Where can I find theory to justify my "calculations", I've tried to search for information on fresnel lenses design but I've had not luck. Can someone point me out in the right direction.

Any information will be appreciated, thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A Fresnel lens is not functionally different from any other lens- it has a focal length and diameter, same as 'traditional' lenses. Thin lens formulas should be adequate for your application.