Chord length and radius of a wind turbine rotor blade

In summary, the chord length of a rotor blade refers to the width of the blade itself, while the radius of a wind turbine refers to the distance from the center of the hub to the outer tip of the blade. The chord length and radius are two different measurements and are not interchangeable. The chord length of a blade can vary along its length, while the radius remains constant. The two are roughly perpendicular to each other.
ATY
Hello,
I have a question about the chord length of rotor blades from wind turbines.
I do not really understand what the difference is to the radius of a wind turbine. I can not find a real explanation, but it seems to be very important. I know that the formula of the chord length depends on many different things (forces, tip speed, number of blades e.t.c.).
I would really appreciate, if somebody could help me.
Have a nice weekend
ATY
Edit: I found a picture of the chord length in a rotor blade, but to me it looks like the radius...
4ff3137b81.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ATY said:
Hello,
I have a question about the chord length of rotor blades from wind turbines.
I do not really understand what the difference is to the radius of a wind turbine. I can not find a real explanation, but it seems to be very important. I know that the formula of the chord length depends on many different things (forces, tip speed, number of blades e.t.c.).
I would really appreciate, if somebody could help me.
Have a nice weekend
ATY
Edit: I found a picture of the chord length in a rotor blade, but to me it looks like the radius...
4ff3137b81.png

It's not clear why you think the chord length of the blade is the radius. The picture you are showing is a cut thru one blade, showing the chord length (width) of the blade and its thickness, t. Remember, the blade is essentially a long slender wing which has the shape of an aerofoil in cross-section.

If you take a different view, one which shows the rotor in plan view, then the radius R of the rotor is properly the distance from the center of the hub to the outer tip of the blade.

ABAAABc3wAD-25.jpg

So you mean, that the radius is the whole structure, while the chord length is just the blade thingy itself ? (Sorry, my english is bad, i marked the area of where I think the chord length starts with a red arrow)

54344d4a96.jpg

ATY said:
So you mean, that the radius is the whole structure, while the chord length is just the blade thingy itself ? (Sorry, my english is bad, i marked the area of where I think the chord length starts with a red arrow)

54344d4a96.jpg
Yes.

Ah Great, thank you for explaining this to me :)

SteamKing said:
Yes.
To be sure, for the blades shown in the plan view, the chord length of the blade is shorter at the tip than closer in toward the hub. The thickness of the blade is probably also smaller at the tip than closer to the hub.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the chord length and radius of a wind turbine rotor blade?

The chord length and radius of a wind turbine rotor blade are important parameters that determine the efficiency and performance of the turbine. They help in designing the blade shape and size to optimize the conversion of wind energy into electrical energy.

2. How is the chord length of a wind turbine rotor blade measured?

The chord length is the distance between the leading and trailing edges of the blade. It can be measured by taking the length of a straight line drawn between these two points on the blade.

3. What factors affect the chord length and radius of a wind turbine rotor blade?

The chord length and radius of a wind turbine rotor blade are influenced by several factors such as the wind speed, air density, blade material, and the desired power output. The blade length also plays a crucial role in determining these parameters.

4. How do the chord length and radius affect the performance of a wind turbine?

The chord length and radius directly affect the aerodynamics of the wind turbine blade. A longer chord length and larger radius allow the blade to capture more wind energy, resulting in higher power output. However, these dimensions must be balanced to avoid increased drag and turbulence, which can reduce the efficiency of the turbine.

5. Can the chord length and radius of a wind turbine rotor blade be changed?

Yes, the chord length and radius of a wind turbine rotor blade can be adjusted by modifying the blade design and shape. This is often done during the design process to optimize the performance of the turbine for specific wind conditions and power requirements.