1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chord length and radius of a wind turbine rotor blade

1. Feb 6, 2016 #1

ATY

Hello,
    I have a question about the chord length of rotor blades from wind turbines.
    I do not really understand what the difference is to the radius of a wind turbine. I can not find a real explanation, but it seems to be very important. I know that the formula of the chord length depends on many different things (forces, tip speed, number of blades e.t.c.).
    I would really appreciate, if somebody could help me.
    Have a nice weekend
    ATY
    Edit: I found a picture of the chord length in a rotor blade, but to me it looks like the radius...
    4ff3137b81.png

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear why you think the chord length of the blade is the radius. The picture you are showing is a cut thru one blade, showing the chord length (width) of the blade and its thickness, t. Remember, the blade is essentially a long slender wing which has the shape of an aerofoil in cross-section.

If you take a different view, one which shows the rotor in plan view, then the radius R of the rotor is properly the distance from the center of the hub to the outer tip of the blade.

ABAAABc3wAD-25.jpg

4. Feb 6, 2016 #3

ATY

So you mean, that the radius is the whole structure, while the chord length is just the blade thingy itself ? (Sorry, my english is bad, i marked the area of where I think the chord length starts with a red arrow)

54344d4a96.jpg

5. Feb 6, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.

6. Feb 6, 2016 #5

ATY

Ah Great, thank you for explaining this to me :)

7. Feb 6, 2016 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To be sure, for the blades shown in the plan view, the chord length of the blade is shorter at the tip than closer in toward the hub. The thickness of the blade is probably also smaller at the tip than closer to the hub.

8. Feb 7, 2016 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook