1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chosing Majors

  1. Nov 1, 2012 #1
    I am a high school student. i am applying to universities for admission next year. I really like physics. I want to study both astrophysics and particle physics. How can i do this? And which universities offer dual degrees/majors in both these fields? I also heard of a new field astroparticle physics. Which university offers a course in it? At undergraduate level.

    I am from India. I am applying to UK and USA universities also.

    Also in some universities(UK) i have applied for physics with particle physics msci(integrated masters) course. Can i do a Msc/MS in astrophysics after this course?
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2012 #2

    Vanadium 50

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

    You don't say what country you are in. In North America, people major in "physics", and the specialization occurs in graduate school.
  4. Nov 1, 2012 #3
    1. I am from India.
    2. I am applying to UK and USA universities also.
    3. Many universities offer specialisation in undergraduate school in USA and UK both.
  5. Nov 1, 2012 #4
    As far as I'm aware, usually general physics and astronomy/astrophysics at the undergraduate levels are typically offered majors in US schools.
  6. Nov 1, 2012 #5
    Yeah you are right. That is why i am asking how can i do both?
  7. Nov 1, 2012 #6
    All the universities have the same physics undergrad program especially the first three years (They teach you physics in general). And then in the fourth year you choose among major options such as >> astrophysics, biological physics, particle physics etc.

    And you can get specialized in grad level.
  8. Nov 1, 2012 #7
    Yeah what you say is partly correct. But universities also offer specialised lectures in astrophysics or particle physics during the second and third year to prepare you for the fourth year in which you are given a project to work on depending on the specialisation you took.
  9. Nov 1, 2012 #8


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    The course requirements for a "general" physics major and an astrophysics major probably overlap a great deal, with only a few courses that are actually different between the two. If a university doesn't let you declare a double major, simply declare one of them and take the extra courses needed for the other one. In the USA at least, declaring one major doesn't forbid you from also taking courses that normally apply to another one.
  10. Nov 1, 2012 #9
    Yeah you are correct about the requirements.
    And you are saying that i can take up astrophysics and then declare a major in particle physics also? How do i do that?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook