1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circle geometry proof

1. Aug 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that any chord perpendicular to the diameter of a circle is bisected by the diameter.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking that maybe I could form two triangles, show that these triangles are congruent, and then conclude that the two lengths of the chord cut by the diameter are equal in length. But I can't seem to prove congruence.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2017 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What triangles are you forming ?

4. Aug 8, 2017 #3
    Oh wait... Let X be the intersection of the chord and the diameter. If I form triangles with the radius, then I get that the hypotenuses are equal, but I also get that the segment from X to the center of the circle is the same for both triangles, so they are congruent by SSS (since the other side for both triangles comes from the Pythagorean theorem).

5. Aug 8, 2017 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the triangles are congruent, but not by SSS. That would require that you assume the thing you are to prove.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted