1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circle Inscribed in a Parabola?

1. Mar 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the largest circle centered on the positive y-axis which touches the origin and which is above y=x^2

2. Relevant equations

equation of a circle: r^2=(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2
    equation of a circle centered on the y-axis: x^2+(y-b)^2=r^2
    equation of a parabola: y=x^2

3. The attempt at a solution

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to do this problem. I "eyeballed" the graphs and realized that a circle with a radius of 0.5 perfectly fits the parameters required by the problem statement, but I have no idea how to do this mathematically.

A radius of 0.5 yields the equation:
    x^2+(y-0.5)^2=0.5^2
    x^2+y^2-y+0.25=0.25
    x^2+y^2-y=0

I've tried (rather aimlessly) taking the derivative of this function, yielding:
    2x+2yy'-1y'=0

However, I realize that I should use the generic equation for a circle, which gives me:
    x^2+(y-b)^2=r^2
    x^2+y^2-yb+b^2=r^2

As I'm sure you all can tell, I'm not making much progress as to an actual solution to this problem.
    I was hoping that you guys could give me some direction and a hint or two.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So far so good. You are given one additional constraint: the circle must touch the origin. What does that tell you about how ##r## and ##b## are related to each other?

OK, can you write down an inequality that describes the region above the parabola?

4. Mar 12, 2014 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Another way to think about it is that you are looking for the 'osculating circle' to y=x^2 at (0,0). It will have the same curvature as y=x^2 at the origin. y'' must be the same for the two curves there.

5. Mar 14, 2014 #4

utkarshakash

Gold Member

I have some other kind of approach which uses the concept of projectiles in physics (I know it sounds weird but it works :approve:). Here goes the solution:

Let us assume the parabola to be y= -x^2. I simply did this because trajectory of a projectile is always a concave down parabola and also because changing the equation won't have any effect on the original question. Now lets say the projectile is fired with a velocity of v at an angle Θ from horizontal.
    [itex] x= v cos \theta t \\
    y = v sin \theta t - gt^2 / 2 [/itex]

If you eliminate x and y from the equations, you get the eqn of trajectory which is

[itex] y = x tan \theta - \dfrac{g sec^2 \theta}{2 v^2} x^2 [/itex]

But the original trajectory is y = -x^2. Comparing the two equations

tanΘ = 0 and [itex]\dfrac{g sec^2 \theta}{2 v^2} = 1[/itex]

The radius of curvature is given by r= v^2 /g.

Solving the above eqns you can see that r indeed comes out to be 1/2!

But I'd also like to point out that this has no physical significance as Θ can never be zero in a projectile and if it is zero, then it would be wrong to call it a projectile motion. But mathematically I don't see any problem with this approach. Now, it's upto you whether you want to go with this method or not.

Cheers. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted