1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circle to cylindrical coordinates

1. Mar 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Transform to cylindrical coordinates:
    x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=R[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Doesn't look like a problem at all first... :smile:

2. Relevant equations
    .. after all I know that is a circle (2d) and we can forget the z-axis (=0) and transform it to just polar coords.
    Also I know, that for polar coordinates
    x = r cos[tex]\theta[/tex]
    y = r sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    But I don't know how to put it out as an answer. Am I supposed to give a parametric equation in terms of x=... and y=... or should it be like r=... and [tex]\theta[/tex]=... and z=0 or can I express it without parametres? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2009 #2
    :surprised
    hey, do I get the correct equation just by replacing x with r cos[tex]\theta[/tex] and y with r sin[tex]\theta[/tex]? So that cartesian eq
    x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=R[tex]^{2}[/tex]
    is
    (r cos[tex]\theta[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex]+(r sin[tex]\theta[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex]=R[tex]^{2}[/tex]
    in cylindrical?

Or should it be something else, like parametric form of some kind?

4. Mar 13, 2009 #3
    :bugeye:
    (r cos[tex]\theta[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex]+(r sin[tex]\theta[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex]=R[tex]^{2}[/tex]
    and it all goes down to r=R?

I guess it goes the same way with the spherical coordinates.

I'm sorry for this monoloque. :blushing:

I hope someone would correct me if I'm wrong. thank you.

5. Mar 13, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, [itex]x^2+ y^2= R^2[/itex] is a cylinder (not a circle) of radius R so it is particulary simple in cylindrical coordinates.

No, it does not "go that way" with spherical coordinates. In spherical coordinates [itex]x= \rho cos(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex] and [itex]\phi= \rho sin(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex] so [itex]x^2+ y^2= \rho^2 cos^2(\theta)sin^2(\phi)+ \rho^2 sin^2(\theta)sin^2(\phi)[/itex][itex]=
    \rho^2 sin^2(\phi)= R^2[/itex].

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  6. Mar 13, 2009 #5
    I think (and still do) that it is a circle, because it has no z. :eek:

Isn't the equation for circle R=r in both cylindrical and spherical coordinates?

7. Mar 13, 2009 #6
    It is a cylinder, as a matter of fact. Because, it is saying that for any z at all, we have x^2+y^2=R^2.:tongue:

8. Mar 13, 2009 #7
    CylindricalCoordinates_1001.gif

If the z is zero, aren't we only left with a circle?

man.. understanding one thing requires not understanding two.. :yuck:

I hope I know how to turn cartesian equations to cylindrical and spherical now.

I'm really trusting on these tricks:

For cylindrical: x^2+y^2=r^2
    For spherical: x^2+y^2+z^2=[tex]\rho[/tex]^2

So if I must for example turn this cartesian
    x^2+y^2-z=0
    into a speherical equation, i just add both sides z^2 and
    x^2+y^2+z^2=z+z^2
    [tex]\rho[/tex]^2=z+z^2
    [tex]\rho[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{z+z^2}[/tex] and because z= [tex]\rho[/tex] cos [tex]\phi[/tex]
    [tex]\rho[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{\rho cos \phi +(\rho cos \phi)^2}[/tex]

Most likely I'm wrong. Once again, help is really appreciated. :frown:

Attached Files:

9. Mar 13, 2009 #8

That is one way of doing it. You could have also just substitute the values of x,y and z in terms of ro, cos, sin and corresponding angles, and you would have ended up with the same thing.

Note: the reason you can take the square root of [tex]\rho^2[/tex] is because it cannot be negative. Otherwise, you would have stepped on the red line...:biggrin:

10. Mar 13, 2009 #9
    Well, as a matter of fact, the levle curves of this surface projected in any plane z=k, where k is a constant, are circles.

11. Mar 13, 2009 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, but you are NOT told that z= 0. Because "it has no z", there is no restriction on z: z can be any number.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook