Circuit analysis and general study tips

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to improve their circuit analysis skills in order to become more fluent and efficient. They mention struggling with understanding relationships between parts and ask for recommendations on focused studying approaches, such as starting with basic concepts and progressing to more complex topics like operational amplifiers and transmission lines. They also express interest in resources that provide circuit problems with thorough explanations and ask for suggestions on best practice approaches for studying within a limited time frame.
dimorphic
The more work I do in the field of EE, the more I realizing that my general circuit analysis skills are usually the root of my confusion and could use improvement. Even after putting on my break-a-big-problem-into-smaller-pieces hat, I still find myself confused about the relationships between parts (especially when multiple parts share a net).

I'm sure that years of experience down the road will eventually provide this, but I'd like to create a solid foundation sooner than later (and hopefully avoid a lot of the frustration and embarrassment I'm already dealing with).

That being said, my main question is this: what advice would you have for a focused, targeted studying approach for quickly becoming fluent in circuit analysis?

I've known people who are similarly aged as me (young) who can cruise through analysis in no time at all, and I too want to work toward having this superpower. Should I start at a modular level and fully understand each component type (i.e. Make's Encyclopedia of Electronics) before moving forward? Should I slowly wade through the newly revised tome of EE? Should I dive into certain types of circuits (e.g. current mirrors, voltage regulators, etc.) to better understand topologies? Is there a resource that compiles a large number of circuit problems that start out very simple and increase in difficulty, accompanied with thorough explanations (sort of like a Khan Academy approach)? I have nearly a dozen books, but most just offer the answer and lack elaborate explanation, so even when I get the answer right I'm still unsure of many aspects.

Another way to look at it: if an arbitrary/tight time limit of, say, 25 hours, was imposed what circuit analysis topics and best practice approaches to studying them would you use?

Thanks for any help with this! My head's spinning and feeling overburdened, so any clarity would be greatly appreciated. (It'll also help alleviate me burdening this forum with a laundry list of questions :) )

Physics news on Phys.org
The path that worked for me fifty years ago was
start with basic resistance capacitance inductance, become fluent in application of KVL and KCL,
then become fluent in rectangular-polar & phasor notation , and solving circuits longhand not computer simulation
then basic amplifiers (i learned vacuum tubes so it was natural to be conversant in both traditional current and electron-borne current)
progressed into operational amplifiers. The old tutorials by National Semiconductor, Phillips/Signetics are great. Look for theis applications manuals in used bookstores.
I recommend TI's "Op Amps for Everyone" they are kind enough to make it available at
http://www.ti.com/ww/cn/uprogram/share/operation_080625.pdf
and if you're real lucky you'll run across a hard copy.

You should also get your feet wet in transmission lines, antennas and Smith charts. That's another little world of its own.
ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook is a practical hands-on reference.
Higher math treatments on that subject abound . You'll want to master Maxwell's equations (i never did) else you'll be academically lacking(as i am).

Doubtless teaching methods have changed a lot since 1960's. I hope somebody who's more current chimes in.

old jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Hesch

1. What is the importance of circuit analysis in science?

Circuit analysis is a fundamental aspect of science as it allows for the understanding and prediction of how electrical systems behave. It helps in the design and optimization of circuits, which are essential components in many technological devices and systems.

2. How can I effectively study circuit analysis?

To effectively study circuit analysis, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts such as algebra and calculus. Additionally, regular practice and solving problems is crucial to understanding the concepts. Utilizing resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice quizzes can also aid in the learning process.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in circuit analysis?

Some common mistakes to avoid in circuit analysis include not labeling components correctly, forgetting to account for voltage drops, and not double-checking calculations. It is also important to have a clear understanding of the basic laws and principles of circuit analysis to avoid making errors in solving problems.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in circuit analysis?

To improve problem-solving skills in circuit analysis, it is essential to practice regularly and approach problems systematically. Breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps can also aid in the problem-solving process. Additionally, seeking help from peers or instructors when facing difficult problems can also improve problem-solving abilities.

5. What are some helpful tips for understanding circuit analysis concepts?

Some helpful tips for understanding circuit analysis concepts include creating visual representations of circuits, relating abstract concepts to real-life examples, and seeking out multiple resources for explanations and practice problems. It may also be beneficial to take breaks during study sessions to allow for the retention of information and avoid burnout.