1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit Analysis - Solving for unknown Voltage

1. Jul 1, 2008 #1
    1.Check Image

3. Perhaps there are other ways to solve the problem but if I use nodal analysis, im confused on how a SUPERNODE will be formed.

my equations:

(Vo-30)/1 = (Vo-v1)/4 + (Vo)/2

-v1 +2vo+v2=0
    v2 = 3*16=48

v1= 2Vo+48

Vo-30 (-Vo/2)= (Vo-(2Vo+48))/4

2Vo -120= Vo -2Vo-48

Vo= 24 V

Is that right???????????????????????

Attached Files:

• k.jpg
      File size:
      11.2 KB
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

for your first KCL (Kirchoff's Current Law) equation, I don't quite understand the first term on the right-hand side. Which node have you defined to be node 1, with voltage v1?.

Also, why is V2/16 = 3 A? Doesn't that assume that ALL of the current from the current source flows into the branch with the 16 ohm resistor, and none of it flows through the voltage-controlled voltage source? Why are you making that assumption?

I have no idea what a super node is. There are so many naming conventions and techniques out there, that it's really hard to keep them straight. One of my profs even told us that the method he was teaching us was not taught by anyone else and differed from what was in the textbook. So you'll be likely to meet confusion here if you use terminology specific to your class. What I do is just define nodes and then use KCL to set up a system of linear equations that will help me to solve for the unknown(s). If that is called nodal analysis or modified nodal analysis, then so be it. I have no idea what the difference is.

Since you've clearly done a fair bit of work on it, I'll take a crack at it and post my solution in a second.
  4. Jul 1, 2008 #3
    nevermind i got it. I used Pspice and got V0 is 22.345 V

and there were some errors in my equations, i figured it THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?