Circuit problem with two sources and three resistors (Nodal Analysis)

wcjy
Homework Statement:
Determine the current I (in Amperes) in the circuit below using nodal analysis.
Relevant Equations:
-
1614241575397.png

1614241653031.png

1614241662965.png

Ans: 0.123A
Tried mesh analysis and got it but didnt for nodal analysis

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
40I-V0? Subtracting a voltage from a current?

wcjy
40I is from the current controlled voltage source. Isn't 40I in volts?

Steve4Physics
Homework Helper
Gold Member
2022 Award
The rotated square (diamond) symbol with '+ -' is a controlled voltage source.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VWAqITUrvhA/UY-k_NBxwfI/AAAAAAAAAUM/BPVlWJIFgXQ/s1600/sources.png

You can tell it's a voltage source because the '+ -' indicates polarity (as opposed to an arrow for a current source indicating current's direction).

'40I' indicates the output-voltage is numerically (in volts) 40 times the value of the current labelled 'I' (in amps) on the diagram.

• Love
Likes rsk and Delta2
Steve4Physics
Homework Helper
Gold Member
2022 Award
View attachment 278629

Ans: 0.123A
Tried mesh analysis and got it but didnt for nodal analysis
Can't see a problem. I also get I = 0.112(335)A and (for information) = 5.28(634) V. If you plug these values into check, you find that they give correctly balanced currents. Are you certain the answer should be 0.123A?

You could post your mesh analysis for checking. But purple on a black background is pretty eye-unfriendly and probably puts a lot of people off. (Typed-up using Latex is the preferred method.)

Likes DaveE and wcjy
wcjy
Can't see a problem. I also get I = 0.112(335)A and (for information) = 5.28(634) V. If you plug these values into check, you find that they give correctly balanced currents. Are you certain the answer should be 0.123A?

You could post your mesh analysis for checking. But purple on a black background is pretty eye-unfriendly and probably puts a lot of people off. (Typed-up using Latex is the preferred method.)
the system said the correct answer was 0.123. But anyways thanks, many people got 0.112 also. probably the answer is wrong. Gonna check with my professor.

My mesh analysis was wrong. I initially got 0.112 as well but i somehow tweak it to 0.123 thinking it was correct. Looking back, the change that i did, did not make any sense.

Anyways thanks so much for helping!

Likes rsk and Steve4Physics
haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
The rotated square (diamond) symbol with '+ -' is a controlled voltage source.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VWAqITUrvhA/UY-k_NBxwfI/AAAAAAAAAUM/BPVlWJIFgXQ/s1600/sources.png

You can tell it's a voltage source because the '+ -' indicates polarity (as opposed to an arrow for a current source indicating current's direction).

'40I' indicates the output-voltage is numerically (in volts) 40 times the value of the current labelled 'I' (in amps) on the diagram.
Ok, I'd never come across that concept.
But the correct way to specify its value would be with units, namely, as 40IΩ.

DaveE
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes. Also, it's in series with a resistor, which doesn't make a lot of sense for a current source.

DaveE
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's not nodal analysis, I prefer the source transformation (Thevenin) approach, but this is the answer. You get the erroneous solution by reversing the polarity of the dependent source [ (1+r/R2) ⇒ (1-r/R2) ].
20210225_130836.jpg

gneill
Mentor
Ok, I'd never come across that concept.
But the correct way to specify its value would be with units, namely, as 40IΩ.
True, but by convention the units are usually omitted from the diagram and are assumed to be appropriate for the "conversion" implied by the sensed value and resulting output of the controlled source.

If units were specified on this diagram they would be more likely to take the form of Volts/Amp in order to indicate that so many volts are produced for a given current in amps, rather than being "reduced" from V/A to Ohms.

A similar convention occurs for the ##\beta ## value for transistors, where a simple apparently unitless value is given such as 200. In reality it represents the ratio of collector current to base current, the current amplification factor for the transistor, and so really should have units of Amps per Amp.

rsk
This is not something covered on the courses I teach but I was intrigued so decided to try to find out how to do such problems and have a go.
Perhaps not surprisingly, I can't get 0.123A as an answer. However, I'm wary of suggesting that's because the answer is wrong until I know for sure.

Please, @wcjy - it would be great if you could confirm one way or another when you ask your prof. Thanks :)

wcjy
This is not something covered on the courses I teach but I was intrigued so decided to try to find out how to do such problems and have a go.
Perhaps not surprisingly, I can't get 0.123A as an answer. However, I'm wary of suggesting that's because the answer is wrong until I know for sure.

Please, @wcjy - it would be great if you could confirm one way or another when you ask your prof. Thanks :)
yea the answer is wrong!

Likes Steve4Physics and rsk

Suggested for: Circuit problem with two sources and three resistors (Nodal Analysis)

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views