Circuit resistance equivalence

In summary, the question asks to find the equivalent resistance between two terminals in a circuit. The equations needed to solve this involve parallel and series circuits. A hint is given to look for opportunities to combine parallel resistances and to consider a resistor that is shorted out.
homo-sapiens

Homework Statement

For the circuit shown below, find the R equivalent resistance between terminals A and B.
http://puu.sh/bX1Sp/33db39d1c0.png

Homework Equations

parallel and series circuit definition[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I admit that I don't even know where to begin with this question...
Can someone give me a hint??
[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
homo-sapiens said:

Homework Statement

For the circuit shown below, find the R equivalent resistance between terminals A and B.
Fig1.gif

Homework Equations

parallel and series circuit definition

The Attempt at a Solution

I admit that I don't even know where to begin with this question...
Can someone give me a hint??
You were give a question to solve without being presented with the basic theory and examples in your course or text?

Hint: There are several opportunities to combine parallel resistances. There's also a resistor that's completely shorted out. Look for them and make a start.

What is circuit resistance equivalence?

Circuit resistance equivalence refers to the concept of combining multiple resistances in a circuit into a single equivalent resistance. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of circuit characteristics.

Why is circuit resistance equivalence important?

Circuit resistance equivalence is important because it simplifies complex circuits and makes them easier to understand and analyze. It also allows for easier calculation of important circuit parameters, such as voltage, current, and power.

How is circuit resistance equivalence calculated?

Circuit resistance equivalence is calculated using the formula Req = R1 + R2 + R3 + ..., where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit. This formula is used for resistors in series. For resistors in parallel, the formula is 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...

What is the difference between series and parallel circuit resistance equivalence?

In series circuits, the equivalent resistance is always greater than any individual resistance, while in parallel circuits, the equivalent resistance is always less than any individual resistance. This is due to the different ways in which resistances are combined in each type of circuit.

Are there any limitations to circuit resistance equivalence?

Circuit resistance equivalence assumes that all resistances in the circuit are linear and do not change with changes in voltage or current. This may not be true for some non-linear components, such as diodes or transistors. Additionally, it is only applicable to DC circuits and may not be accurate for AC circuits.