Circuit that is both parallel and in series

In summary: So if we had a 3 ohm and a 10 ohm resistor, the equivalent resistance would be: R_{eq} = 3 + ((2 + 1) || (10 + 1)) = 12
tigerguy
Determine the power dissipated in the 9 ohm resistor in the circuit shown in the drawing. (R1=4.0 Ohms, R2=9.0 Ohms, and V1=9V).

20_67alt.gif

When trying to solve this problem, I tired to add the resistance of the bottom two as if they were in series, and then add that to R1 to get the total resistance. I then found the current using the given voltage, and then tried to multiply that to the voltage to get an answer of 9 watts. But that is wrong, and I am not sure where I went wrong.

I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
tigerguy said:
Determine the power dissipated in the 9 ohm resistor in the circuit shown in the drawing. (R1=4.0 Ohms, R2=9.0 Ohms, and V1=9V).

View attachment 7384

When trying to solve this problem, I tired to add the resistance of the bottom two as if they were in series, and then add that to R1 to get the total resistance. I then found the current using the given voltage, and then tried to multiply that to the voltage to get an answer of 9 watts. But that is wrong, and I am not sure where I went wrong.
I can't see your drawing yet but I expect that it consists of two branches, one of which has a single 9 ohm resistor and the other with two series resistors of 4 + 9 = 13 ohms.

For parallel connected resistors, the voltages are the same and the currents add up. In series the currents are the same and the voltages add up (to the total V).

So the total current is the current in both branches of the parallel circuit and the current in each is V/R.

If the applied voltage is 9 volts you will get a current of 9/9 + 9/13 amps. The power in the 9 ohm resistor is its current x voltage = 9 * 9/9 = 9 w.

AM

you must take all the resistor together to make 1 substitutional resistane using the following rules:

1. serial placed resistance: [tex]R_{subst.} = \Sigma R[/tex] and U is divided over the resistors.

2. parallel circuit: [tex]\frac {1} {R_{subst.}} = \Sigma \frac {1} {R}[/tex] and I is divided over the resistors.

Last edited:
I got 9 watts as my answer, and that was incorrect. Maybe the picture that's now uploaded can help someone help me with this question? Thanks again everybody.

what do we nee d for the power: U and I

Now let's take the serial 1 ohm and 9 ohm and the serial 2 ihm and 1 ohm resistors together and we get a simplified circuit with a new R of 10 ohm and 3 ohm parallel to each other.

Now we must take the parallel 10 ohm and 3 ohm toegether. this yields:

[tex] \frac {1} {\frac {1} {10} \cdot \frac {1} {3} } = 2.31 \Omega[/tex]

Then add these 2 resistors together to get 1 single resistor of 6.31 ohm.

Now the source has a voltage of 9.0 V so the I through the singel resistor is [itex] I = \frac {9} {6.31} = 1.43 A[/itex]

Thus thorugh the 2.31 resistor earlier has a current of 1.43 A with a voltage of [itex] U = 1.43 \cdot 2.31 = 3.3033 V[/itex]. (As a control you can calculate U of the 4 ohm resistor.

Now 1 step back U is 3,3033 V over the 10 ohm resistor and 3 ohm resistor and I is divided. Over the 10 ohm resistor I is [itex] \frac {3.3033} {10} = 0.330033 A[/itex]

Then at the original situation the current in the 9 ohm resistor is 0,33033 A and the voltage is [itex] 0.330033 \cdot 9 = 2.97 V[/itex]

Then the power is [itex] P = 2.97 \cdot 0.33033 = 0.98 W[/itex]

(I may have made a miscalculation --> i did not use paper)

I have juste made the calculations and I arrived at 0.98 watt ≈ 1 watt.
So the result of sdekivit seems ok

I have juste made the calculations and I arrived at 0.98 watt ? 1 watt.
So the result of sdekivit seems ok

Also, remember the following rules:

[tex] R_{series} = R_1 + R_2 [/tex]
[tex] R_{parallel} = \frac{R_1 \, R_2}{R_1 +R_2} [/tex]

Then you can use some nice short hand when you are trying to find an equivalent resistance. In this case the equivalent resistance of those resistor combinations would be:
[tex] R_{eq} = R_1 + ((2 + 1) || (R_2 + 1)) [/tex]

Notice that [itex] R_a|| R_b [/itex] would mean:
[tex] R_a|| R_b = \frac{R_a \, R_b}{R_a + R_b} [/tex]

What is a circuit that is both parallel and in series?

A circuit that is both parallel and in series is a combination of two types of circuits: parallel and series circuits. In this type of circuit, some components are connected in parallel while others are connected in series.

What is the difference between a parallel circuit and a series circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in a way that allows multiple paths for the current to flow. This means that if one component fails, the others will still function. In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single path, so if one component fails, the entire circuit will be affected.

What are the advantages of using a circuit that is both parallel and in series?

A circuit that is both parallel and in series combines the advantages of both types of circuits. It allows for multiple paths for the current to flow, increasing the overall efficiency and reducing the risk of circuit failure. It also allows for individual components to be turned on or off without affecting the rest of the circuit.

What are some common applications of a circuit that is both parallel and in series?

Circuits that are both parallel and in series are commonly used in household wiring, where outlets are connected in parallel and light fixtures are connected in series. They are also used in electronic devices, such as computers and televisions, where some components need to be connected in parallel for efficient power usage.

How do I calculate the total resistance of a circuit that is both parallel and in series?

To calculate the total resistance of a circuit that is both parallel and in series, you need to first calculate the total resistance of the parallel components. Then, use the total resistance of the parallel components in the formula for calculating the total resistance of series components. This will give you the total resistance of the entire circuit.