Circuit Transformations: Norton's Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Norton and Thevenin equivalent transformations in circuit analysis. The main point is that these transformations are equivalent and can be applied in any order to simplify a circuit. However, it is important to identify the connection points and to keep track of changes in loops and nodes during the process. Additionally, it is not always possible to combine elements across the central node unless they are in parallel. Drawing the measuring device for the parameter of interest can help visualize the changes in the circuit.
Master1022
Homework Statement
Convert the circuit into an equivalent resistance and a current source.
Relevant Equations
[itex] V = E - IR [/itex]
Picture of the circuit is posted below. Apologies, the voltage source on the left should read 24 V. My question is: What is wrong with this method? [Edit: Sorry if it wasn't clear- the method in the picture yields the wrong answer]

When I originally did the question, I just turned the LHS into its Norton equivalent and then combined to get the answer. However, why can't it be done this way as well (i.e. convert RHS to Thevenin equivalent, and then continue).

My initial thoughts have been to do with that we cannot combine the Thevenin equivalent in that way, but I was wondering why that would be the case?

IMG_6300.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks good to me. I'm not 100% sure I understand your question.
The point of Norton/Thevenin equivalent transformations is that they are equivalent. So you can apply them in any order that makes simplification of the attached network easy. When there are multiple sources in the circuit then there will be different approaches to the simplification based on which source you choose to transform at each step. In a very general sense the process is transform a section, then add resistors to simplify, then repeat until the network is reduced to it's simplest form.
I've never really understood why 2 guys (Norton and Thevenin) both get credit for what I see as one equivalence transformation. I think it confuses students to refer to them as separate things.

DaveE said:
It looks good to me. I'm not 100% sure I understand your question.
The point of Norton/Thevenin equivalent transformations is that they are equivalent. So you can apply them in any order that makes simplification of the attached network easy. When there are multiple sources in the circuit then there will be different approaches to the simplification based on which source you choose to transform at each step. In a very general sense the process is transform a section, then add resistors to simplify, then repeat until the network is reduced to it's simplest form.
I've never really understood why 2 guys (Norton and Thevenin) both get credit for what I see as one equivalence transformation. I think it confuses students to refer to them as separate things.
Sorry, I should have made it clearer. Doing this alternative method yields the wrong answer, whereas the other method gives the 'correct' answer.

You changed the problem at the last step when you combined 9+5 ohms into 14 ohms. The point of these transformations is to simplify a 1 port network, so you need to identify up front what you connection points are. For example, across the 5 ohm resistor. As you apply the transforms it is easy to loose sight of the fact that you may be changing loops and nodes in the process.

DaveE said:
You changed the problem at the last step when you combined 9+5 ohms into 14 ohms. The point of these transformations is to simplify a 1 port network, so you need to identify up front what you connection points are. For example, across the 5 ohm resistor. As you apply the transforms it is easy to loose sight of the fact that you may be changing loops and nodes in the process.

Thank you for your response. So I cannot usually combine things across the 'central' node unless they are in parallel?

Master1022 said:
Thank you for your response. So I cannot usually combine things across the 'central' node unless they are in parallel?
Yes, that's correct. It may help to draw into your schematic the measuring device for the parameter you are interested in. Like a voltmeter between nodes, or an ammeter around a branch. Then you can more easily see what can or can't be changed without altering the measurement

1. What is Norton's Theorem?

Norton's Theorem is a circuit analysis technique that allows for the simplification of a complex circuit into a single current source and a parallel resistor.

2. How is Norton's Theorem different from Thevenin's Theorem?

While Thevenin's Theorem reduces a complex circuit into a single voltage source and a series resistor, Norton's Theorem reduces it into a single current source and a parallel resistor.

3. What is the purpose of using Norton's Theorem?

Norton's Theorem can be used to simplify a circuit and make it easier to analyze and design. It can also help determine the maximum power that can be delivered to a load connected to the circuit.

4. Are there any limitations to using Norton's Theorem?

Yes, Norton's Theorem can only be applied to linear circuits, meaning the relationship between voltage and current in the circuit must be linear. It also cannot be used for circuits with dependent sources or active components like transistors.

5. How do you apply Norton's Theorem in practice?

To apply Norton's Theorem, you first need to find the Norton equivalent circuit by finding the Norton current and the equivalent parallel resistor. This can be done by either using circuit analysis techniques or by using a test voltage source and finding the short-circuit current. Once the Norton equivalent circuit is found, it can be used to analyze the original circuit and make any necessary simplifications.