1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit with 2 batteries when one has a reversed polarity

1. Jun 6, 2012 #1
    What happens if you take lets say a 12 volt battery and connect it to a lightbulb(not LED). Well... the lightbulb lights up obviously! But then connect a 6 voltage battery also(in series), but with reversed polarity (against the current that is). What happens then?

Will there be a shortage of some sort, or will the lightbulb give half the effect/shine half as bright? (or something else maybe??)

If the battery is connected with the same polarity, the total voltage would be 18V(12V+6V)(so I've learned). Will it in this case be 12V-6V=6V???

Thanks;) (excuse my english)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2012 #2
    You have the right answer....6volts...

In practice the 12 volt battery will force current thru the smaller battery and likely ruin it in short order. Depending on the internal resistances of the batteries, heat will be generated
    and damage results. NEVER do this in practice because I'm pretty sure with powerful enough batteries, like those in a typical car, fire or at least melting will occur.

You can read a little bit about ideal voltages sources here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_voltage_source#Ideal_voltage_sources

4. Jun 6, 2012 #3
    Thanks;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook