1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit with 2 components. Series or Parallel?

1. Sep 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Say I have a circuit with only 2 components, a battery and a capacitor. Is this circuit considered series or parallel? What about a charged capacitor and an uncharged one? Does the fact I have an oscilloscope connected to the capacitor to read the voltage across it affect this answer?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can see arguments for either answer being valid. For the first scenario, it makes sense to say series because there is only one route for current to flow, but the potential difference across both the battery and the capacitor are the same, which is part of the definition of a parallel circuit. In the second situation I know the answer is that the two capacitors are in parallel even though there is only one path for current to follow, justifying the use of the same potential difference for the logic. Which would then make the first situation a parallel circuit. I'm just not sure if I've thought it out correctly.

Scenario 1:
    http://ic.sunysb.edu/class/phy121pk/Lab2CapacPHY134TypoCorrectSw1fromFig1.png [Broken]
    Scenario 2:
    fetch.php?cache=&media=phy142:labs:parallelposition2.png
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes, for just two components whether they are taken to be in parallel or series depends upon how you view the circuit or what you're measuring. Depending upon the analysis you want to do, one point of view or the other may make life easier, but both ways are valid.

4. Sep 25, 2013 #3
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted