Circuit with 2 components. Series or Parallel?

In summary, the question is whether a circuit with a battery and a capacitor is considered series or parallel. There are arguments for both answers, as the current only has one route to flow through but the potential difference across the battery and capacitor are the same. The same logic applies for a charged and uncharged capacitor in parallel. The choice of series or parallel may depend on the analysis being done, but both are valid. The presence of an oscilloscope to measure voltage does not affect the answer.
Dalkiel

Homework Statement

Say I have a circuit with only 2 components, a battery and a capacitor. Is this circuit considered series or parallel? What about a charged capacitor and an uncharged one? Does the fact I have an oscilloscope connected to the capacitor to read the voltage across it affect this answer?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see arguments for either answer being valid. For the first scenario, it makes sense to say series because there is only one route for current to flow, but the potential difference across both the battery and the capacitor are the same, which is part of the definition of a parallel circuit. In the second situation I know the answer is that the two capacitors are in parallel even though there is only one path for current to follow, justifying the use of the same potential difference for the logic. Which would then make the first situation a parallel circuit. I'm just not sure if I've thought it out correctly.

Scenario 1:
http://ic.sunysb.edu/class/phy121pk/Lab2CapacPHY134TypoCorrectSw1fromFig1.png
Scenario 2:
fetch.php?cache=&media=phy142:labs:parallelposition2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, for just two components whether they are taken to be in parallel or series depends upon how you view the circuit or what you're measuring. Depending upon the analysis you want to do, one point of view or the other may make life easier, but both ways are valid.

Likes 1 person
Thanks!

1. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit with 2 components?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single pathway, meaning the current flows through one component and then the other. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, meaning the current can flow through both components at the same time.

2. Which type of circuit is better for conserving energy?

A series circuit is better for conserving energy because the current is forced to flow through each component, reducing the overall energy usage.

3. Can you mix series and parallel components in the same circuit?

Yes, it is possible to have a combination of series and parallel components in the same circuit. This is called a hybrid circuit.

4. How does the voltage change in a series versus parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the components, meaning each component receives a portion of the total voltage. In a parallel circuit, each component receives the full voltage.

5. Which type of circuit is more commonly used in household appliances?

Parallel circuits are more commonly used in household appliances because they allow for multiple components to operate independently, increasing efficiency and reliability.