1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuits analysis with independent current source

1. Sep 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

https://www.edx.org/static/content-mit-6002x/images/circuits/H1P2.79e52b492b94.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

It's been a while since I've done KCL/KVL, could be that I'm being just being stupid.

I'm trying to find v1, i4, and the power in all the circuit elements.

3. The attempt at a solution

I just used KCL at the top node and got 5 as the voltage. I called the top node "A". A + (A-4)/3 = 8.

From there, I got that v1 equals 5 V because there is no resistor there(which is wrong), and the values of i1-3(16/3, 5, 1/3). i4 I GUESS is 1/3, but I don't think that is right. Power of the 1 ohm resistor is 25, and 1/3 for the 3 ohm resistor.

So apparently, I've screwed up. Help?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Check your work on the KCL: A + (A-4)/3 = 8. A=5 doesn't satisfy the equation.

4. Sep 10, 2012 #3
    Ah, I see. God, that was stupid. If I have more problems(probable), I'll post them on this thread.

5. Sep 16, 2012 #4
    Hey man! How did you find other problems? Can you give me solutions? plz)

6. Sep 16, 2012 #5
    PM me. What problems are you having?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook