Circuits: impedance = undefined? (j8ohms-j8ohms)

In summary, the parallel combination of a reactive inductor and capacitor will create an impedance that looks like infinity, which can be difficult to solve for. However, if you add in real-world resistances, you can get an input impedance at resonance.
Number2Pencil

Homework Statement

I'm working a problem where I have a j8ohm and a -j8ohm in parallel, and I need to reduce the circuit to get the current in one of these branches. Being these numbers, I get a fraction with zero on the bottom. How should I treat this?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking it shorts it, but that's a guess

Physics news on Phys.org
well I change my answer on the basis that I think the impedance is infinity...

treat as an open?

Okay, I'm convinced it's the open circuit, but I'm still curious: if you actually did this in a lab, and set the frequency to make these impedances, would it actually not let current get through? or is that more of the "ideal" vs. "real"

The +j and -j matching impedances represent a parallel LC circuit, correct? What is the impedance of that kind of circuit at resonance (where the +j and -j reactances match)? And what is the thing in a real circuit that keeps the input Z of a parallel LC circuit from being infinite?

Well...it's either the fact that you can't reach infinite impedance, so it will appear as very large, but finite.

Or is the fact that practical capacitors will have a small amount of leakage current

Number2Pencil said:
Well...it's either the fact that you can't reach infinite impedance, so it will appear as very large, but finite.

Or is the fact that practical capacitors will have a small amount of leakage current

I suppose the leakage current might be a factor, but it's a different property of both the inductor and capacitor that keeps it from being infinite. The thing that makes the Zin of a parallel LC look infinite is that you can get a current going back and forth, with the energy going back and forth between the charge stored on the cap and the magnetic field stored by the inductor, all with very little energy being input from outside.

Once you get the oscillation going, you can put almost no energy into keep it going. But that's when you have an ideal cap and ideal inductor. Now what happens if you add in the DCR of the inductor and ESR of the cap? What would happen to the LC oscillation if you didn't put in any energy?

hmm...

I do believe energy associated with a resistor is turned into heat/friction, so since the practical models of C and L has resistance, and it's oscillating back and forth...

W = IVt, So to keep the current and voltage oscillating, you have to add power (w) because it's being converted (lost as far as circuits go)

am I in the ballpark here?

Yep, exactly. Now to finish figuring out your OP question about the parallel combination of the reactive phasors and what happens. Go ahead and draw the parallel LC circuit now with a resistor Rdcr ("DC Resistance") in series with the L, and a resistor Resr ("Equivalent Series Resistance) in series with the capacitor. Solve for the input impedance now, with those real-world resistances accounted for.

And then put in some real-world numbers, either by hand, or run them as SPICE simulations, to see what the input impedance is at resonance. Do you have any guesses about how the input Z at resonance is affected by Resr and Rdcr?

BTW, you can use these values for practical starting values:

C = 10uF, Resr = 1 Ohm (and step it up by 0.5 Ohms at a step)
L = 1mH, Rdcr = 1 Ohm (and step it up by 0.5 Ohms at a step)

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the total opposition to an alternating current in a circuit. It is a combination of resistance, capacitance, and inductance.

2. How is impedance calculated?

Impedance is calculated using Ohm's law, which states that impedance (Z) equals the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). Z = V/I.

3. Why is the impedance of this circuit undefined?

The impedance of a circuit is undefined when the resistance is equal to the reactance (either capacitive or inductive reactance). In this case, the circuit has a purely reactive component, which results in an undefined impedance.

4. How does a circuit with undefined impedance behave?

A circuit with undefined impedance will behave differently depending on the type of reactance present. If the reactance is capacitive, the circuit will act as an open circuit and block the flow of current. If the reactance is inductive, the circuit will act as a short circuit and allow the flow of current.

5. How can the undefined impedance be resolved?

The undefined impedance in a circuit can be resolved by adding a resistive component to the circuit. This will balance out the reactive component and result in a defined impedance. Alternatively, the reactive component can be altered to either capacitance or inductance to achieve a defined impedance.