Circular momentum - Loop-the-loop question.

In summary, the minimum speed for a cart to safely loop the loop on a machine with a radius of 18m can be calculated using the equation v^2/r = (2r*pi)/t, where v is the velocity, r is the radius, and t is the time. Additionally, the centripetal acceleration at the highest point of the loop must be equal and opposite to gravity in order to nullify its effects.
Ripe

Homework Statement

A loop-the-loop machine has radius 18m. What is the minimum speed at which a cart must travel so that it will safely loop the loop?

Homework Equations

centripetal acceleration: v^2/r
velocity=(2r*pi)/t
Perhaps more?

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest, my main problem is that I'm not really sure where to start. I calculated the displacement a cart must travel, i.e. the circumference of the diameter, but I don't know what to do next..

Physics news on Phys.org
You want gravity to be nullified by centripetal acceleration when car is at highest point.

Ah. You mean that when it is at the highest point, the centriputal acceleration will have the same magnitude and direction as gravity and thus, we can deduce that the centriputal acceleration is 9.8ms^-2?

That's it.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the key equations and concepts that are relevant to the question. In this case, we can use the equations for centripetal acceleration and velocity to determine the minimum speed needed for the cart to safely complete the loop-the-loop.

To start, we can use the formula for centripetal acceleration, a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the loop-the-loop. We can rearrange this equation to solve for the velocity, v, which gives us v = √(ar).

Next, we can use the formula for velocity in circular motion, v = 2πr/t, where t is the time it takes for the cart to complete one full revolution around the loop-the-loop. We can rearrange this equation to solve for the time, t, which gives us t = (2πr)/v.

Now, we can substitute the expression for v from the first equation into the second equation to get t = (2πr)/√(ar). This gives us the time it takes for the cart to complete one full revolution around the loop-the-loop, in terms of the radius and acceleration.

Finally, we can use the given radius of 18m and the acceleration due to gravity, g = 9.8 m/s^2, to solve for the minimum velocity needed for the cart to safely complete the loop-the-loop. Plugging in these values into the equation for v, we get v = √(9.8*18) = 13.4 m/s.

Therefore, the minimum speed at which the cart must travel in order to safely complete the loop-the-loop is 13.4 m/s. This speed is necessary to provide enough centripetal acceleration to keep the cart moving in a circular path without falling off the track.

1. What is circular momentum?

Circular momentum, also known as angular momentum, is a property of a rotating object that describes the amount and direction of its rotational motion.

2. How is circular momentum calculated?

Circular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotation) by the angular velocity (the rate of rotation).

3. What is the loop-the-loop question?

The loop-the-loop question is a classic physics problem in which a small object is released from the top of a circular track and travels along the track until it reaches the bottom. The question usually asks about the minimum speed needed for the object to make it through the loop without falling off.

4. What factors affect the loop-the-loop question?

The factors that affect the loop-the-loop question include the radius of the loop, the mass of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the significance of the loop-the-loop question?

The loop-the-loop question is important because it demonstrates the relationship between circular momentum and centripetal force, as well as the concept of conservation of energy. It also highlights the importance of understanding and applying physics principles in real-world scenarios.