Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion at end of string in horizontal plane

1. Jul 19, 2010 #1
    Suppose a mass m suspended from a string of length l is undergoing uniform circular motion in a horizontal plane, with angular velocity ω. Calculate the centripetal acceleration a.

If T is the tension in the string, and θ the angle the string makes with the vertical, then the vertical and horizontal components are:

T cos θ = mg
    T sin θ = mrω²

Dividing the latter by the former gives: [tex]\frac{\sin \theta}{\cos \theta}=\frac{\sin \theta}{\sqrt{1-\sin^{2}\theta}}=\frac{r \omega^{2}}{g}[/tex]

If r is the radius of the circle, then [tex]\sin \theta=\frac{r}{l}[/tex], and substituting for sin θ gives:

[tex]\frac{\frac{r}{l}}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{r}{l})^{2}}}=\frac{r \omega^{2}}{g}[/tex]

Rearranging gives [tex]a=r\omega^{2}=\sqrt{l^{2}\omega^{4}-g^2}}[/tex]

Now, the thing that I find strange about this result is that, to be able to take the square root, we need [tex]l^{2}\omega^{4}\geq g^2[/tex], but physically there seems to be no such restriction, since l and ω are arbitrary and can be as small as one likes.

Where have I gone wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How did you do this rearrangement?

4. Jul 19, 2010 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

The parameters may not be so arbritrary. If l is small then w may end up large because of the effect of gravity and the the relatively small radius r.

5. Jul 19, 2010 #4
    OK, thanks. I think I've got it. There is actually nothing wrong with the equation I derived.

As the prevois poster pointed out, ω is not arbitrary. In fact ω just has a lower limit given by [tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{l}}[/tex], which corresponds to the frequency of a pendulum oscillating at low amplitude.

6. Jul 19, 2010 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{l\cos\theta}}[/tex]

Which has the limit for small angles as you point out. Good stuff!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook