Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion of water in a glass

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    Hey all,

I'm attempting a lab where I want to have water moving in circular motion in a glass. I realized that the water will climb the side of the glass creating a sort of conical shape, if you will. I know that there is a way to calculate the change in height that occurs as the speed of the water increases. I was thinking centrifugal force, but I don't remember my motion well enough for this sort of thing.

Any and all help would be freakin' awesome:smile:

Aveld

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The centripetal force necessary to hold something in a circle of radius R with constant speed v (and so angular speed [itex]\omega[/itex] is mv2/R or [itex]m\omega^2R[/itex]. That vector force, <-mv2/R,0>, added to the gravitational force <0, -mg> gives total force m<-v2/R, -g>, in the xz-plane. More generally, it is [itex]m<-(v^2/R)cos(\theta), -(v^2/R)sin(\theta), -g>. It is the "equilibrium" condition, that that vector be perpendicular to the surface of the water that determines its form.

4. Mar 11, 2011 #3
    As I recall, It forms a paraboloid

5. Mar 11, 2011 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Are you rotating the glass, or are you moving the glass in orbital motion- moving the glass in a circle without rotating the glass? There's a big difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?