1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Permutation problem

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    how many ways can 10 people sit around a roundtable if 3 particular people sit together

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    my attempt was (8-1)! x 3!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi dumpman! :wink:
    Looks ok to me! :smile:

4. Jun 6, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That would only be right if you designate 3 particular seats for the 3 particular people to sit in. I think you have a number of choices for those 3 particular seats.

5. Jun 6, 2009 #4
    if 3 arent assigned specifically, then the answer is 10C3 x (8-1)! x 3! ?

6. Jun 6, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you can do is think of those 3 as constituting one person. That is, find the number of different ways of seating 8 people rather than 10, then multiply by 3! for the number of ways to seat those 3 people. Oh, wait, that is (8-1)! 3!, your first answer.

Dick, that does NOT require designating "3 particular seats for the 3 particular people to sit in". Or are you suggesting we should multiply by 7!3! by 8 to allow for those 3 being any one of the original "8" people? I don't believe that is correct.

(I could be wrong, now!)

7. Jun 6, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the question means "order of seating" then I think you are right if 'right' and 'left' partners are distinguishable. If the question means "ways to seat" as in 'the chairs are numbered' then I think I'm right. It is a little ambiguous. I THINK you have to multiply 7!*3! by the number of ways to pick three consecutive chairs in a roundtable. And that's not 10C3, dumpman. They have to be adjacent. But if you think circular rotations are not important you can go with Halls and tiny-tims answer.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  8. Jun 7, 2009 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

all seats are equal

Yes, in my experience, "roundtable" questions always mean that the order (clockwise, say) matters, but not the actual seats …

if you're attending a dinner-party, all you're interested in is where you're sitting in relation to everyone else …

on an ordinary table, you could be stuck at the end, which is different, but on a roundtable all seats are equal. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook