1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular ring in xy-plane with current, find current density

1. Nov 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a circular ring of wire of radius a that resides in the x-y plane through the origin. The center of the ring coincides with the origin and you can regard the thickness of the wire to be infinitesimal.

a. Given that a current I flows in the ring, find an expression for the current density J.

2. Relevant equations

∫B(r).dl = μ∫J(r).da

3. The attempt at a solution

ok, I know J(r)=Io * δ(x)*δ(y) z
    How do I get this in cylindrical coordinates (ρ,θ,z)?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2011 #2
    Well, the current density is only non-zero at z = 0, that corresponds to it being non-zero only at θ = π / 2, or cos(θ) = 0. So you should have a delta function for that. Additionally, it's non-zero only at ρ = R, so you should have a delta function for that as well. If I remember Jackson correctly, you'll also need a normalization factor of 1/R because θ (and therefore the first delta function) is a dimensionless quantity, so you divide by 1/R to maintain the proper units for current density of current / area (I'm not really sure why this works, I just took Jackson at his word on this one). The original delta functions are functions of position coordinates and therefore already have 1/L dependence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook