Circular Work Vs. Straight line work

In summary: Yes, the force is less. Think about it. What would be easier, pushing a rock up a gentle slope, or lifting it straight up above your head?Compare the work required to lift a weight vertically and up a slope - a simple case.The work on the vertical lift is force times distance = mghOn the slope, the force (down the slope) is mg sin(θ) where θ is the angle of the slope. The distance up the slope is h/sin(θ). So the force times the distance is mg sin(θ) h/sin(θ), which equals mgh again.
kegger90
I was having trouble understanding a concept in my physics class regarding work. If you have a 1000 lb weight being lifted 10 feet in the air would that have the same amount of work done as lifting a 1000 lb weight on a rigid pivot with a radius of 5 feet? if anyone could help explain this to me I would appreciate it. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The gain in Potential Energy is the same what ever (frictionless) path you take. If this were not so, you could make a machine that gave perpetual motion.

sophiecentaur said:
The gain in Potential Energy is the same what ever (frictionless) path you take. If this were not so, you could make a machine that gave perpetual motion.

Work and energy are not equal though.

Same units, though (Joules). Potential energy is defined in terms of the work put in / got out. What do you mean by "not equal"?

sophiecentaur said:
Same units, though (Joules). Potential energy is defined in terms of the work put in / got out. What do you mean by "not equal"?

Well in one case the object is going straight up while in the other it is following a longer path. I suppose the question is if this effects the work.

No machine can increase work (with the exception of my computer), so it should be the same, even though the force is multiplied by a longer distance, so the force must be less.

LostConjugate said:
Well in one case the object is going straight up while in the other it is following a longer path. I suppose the question is if this effects the work.

No machine can increase work (with the exception of my computer), so it should be the same, even though the force is multiplied by a longer distance, so the force must be less.

Yes, the force is less. Think about it. What would be easier, pushing a rock up a gentle slope, or lifting it straight up above your head?

Compare the work required to lift a weight vertically and up a slope - a simple case.
The work on the vertical lift is force times distance = mgh

On the slope, the force (down the slope) is mg sin(θ) where θ is the angle of the slope. The distance up the slope is h/sin(θ). So the force times the distance is mg sin(θ) h/sin(θ), which equals mgh again.
You can break any shape of uphill path into a series of small, straight sections. The above applies to each of the sections, showing that the work is independent of the path - just on the overall height gained. If that bit of maths wasn't too much of a pain, you can see it proves the point.

1. What is the difference between circular work and straight line work?

Circular work involves completing tasks or movements in a circular manner, while straight line work involves completing tasks or movements in a linear manner.

2. Which type of work is more efficient?

This depends on the specific task and the individual performing it. Some tasks may be more efficient to complete in a circular manner, while others may be more efficient in a straight line.

3. Can circular work cause repetitive strain injuries?

Yes, repetitive circular movements can lead to strain on certain muscles or joints, which can result in injuries. It is important to take breaks and vary your movements to prevent strain.

4. How does circular work impact productivity?

Circular work can increase productivity in some cases, as it can allow for multitasking and completing tasks in a more fluid manner. However, it can also be more time-consuming and less efficient for certain tasks.

5. Are there any industries or jobs that primarily use circular work?

Yes, there are certain industries or jobs that require more circular work, such as those in agriculture, construction, or manufacturing. These jobs often involve tasks that require repetitive circular movements.