Circulation of water in a cylindrical reservoir

In summary, the conversation discusses a topic that the speakers have not covered yet and are unsure about. They mention a formula for circulation, but struggle with understanding if velocity can be pulled out of the integral and if it still depends on angular velocity. One of the speakers also mentions finding a solution on a public website and asks about obtaining a formula for ##h`=\omega^2*r^2/2g##.
RiotRick
Homework Statement
One important quantity to characterise a fluid is the circulation. Given ##\Gamma## a closed oriented path inside the fluid, the circulation ##C_r## along the path ##\Gamma## is the integral ##C_r =\oint{\vec{v}*\vec{dl}}##

a) Consider a cylindrical reservoir of radius r containing a fluid rotating with constant angular velocity ##\omega##. What is the circulation ##C_r## with path defined as in figure 1?

b) Now, let us consider the case in which the velocity is not constant but rather the circulation, around any circle of radius r centred at the axis, is constant (independent of r). What is the velocity as a function of r in this case? ( it's 1:1 written like that. I guess they mean omega is not constant but the velocity is constant )

c) A practical application for the case of constant circulation is a drain in a sink. Using Bernoulli’s equation and considering p = p0, the atmospheric pressure, what is the fluid height z in figure 2 as a function of r? Consider Bernoulli’s equation a constant everywhere
Relevant Equations
I honestly don't know
Fig1:
Fig1.JPG

Fig2:
Fig2.JPG

We haven't covered this topic yet, but they expect us to solve it and I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing.

a) ##C_r =\oint{\vec{v}*\vec{dl}} = \int{\omega*r*dl} = \omega*\int{r*r*d\phi} = \omega*r^2*2pi##

b) Now here I begin to struggle. If v is constant, can I simply pull it out of the integral? But it still depends on omega right? During my web research I've also seen the circulation problem explained with coulomb but that's one thing I'm not into yet. Can I simply think of a water molecule with mass m being pulled by the centripetalforce?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How does water circulate in a cylindrical reservoir?

Water circulates in a cylindrical reservoir through a process called convection. This is when warmer water rises to the top and cooler water sinks to the bottom, creating a constant flow of water.

2. What factors affect the circulation of water in a cylindrical reservoir?

The circulation of water in a cylindrical reservoir can be affected by several factors, including temperature, salinity, wind, and the shape and size of the reservoir.

3. How can the circulation of water in a cylindrical reservoir be improved?

The circulation of water in a cylindrical reservoir can be improved by installing a pump or aerator to create artificial currents, or by designing the reservoir with sloped sides to promote natural convection.

4. Can the circulation of water in a cylindrical reservoir be disrupted?

Yes, the circulation of water in a cylindrical reservoir can be disrupted by factors such as changes in temperature, blockages, or changes in the surrounding environment.

5. How does the circulation of water in a cylindrical reservoir impact the ecosystem?

The circulation of water in a cylindrical reservoir plays a crucial role in maintaining a healthy ecosystem. It helps distribute nutrients and oxygen, regulates temperature, and supports the growth of aquatic plants and animals.