Circumference C of a circle of radius R inscribed on a sphere

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
rbwang1225
Messages
112
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


By employing spherical polar coordinates show that the circumference C of a circle of radius R inscribed on a sphere [itex]S^{2}[/itex] obeys the inequality C<2[itex]\pi[/itex]R

The Attempt at a Solution



I proved C=2[itex]\pi[/itex]R[itex]\sqrt{1-\frac{R^2}{4r^2}}[/itex]

So if r>R, then the equality is correct.

Am I right? Since the statement of the problem doesn't give me the radius r of the sphere, I doubt my result.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
you mean something like:
use spherical-polar and put the z axis through the center of the circle.
the circle will be a line of constant θ from the z-axis.
for a sphere radius R, the radius of the circle is r = Rθ, but the circumference is C=2πR.sinθ < 2πr.

eg - biggest circle is a grand circle, r=R, θ=π/2, so C=2πR < 2πr=ππR
the only time you get close is for θ → 0 (small circle).