Civil Engineering to Mechanical Engineering

• Engineering
  • Thread starter afif16
  • Start date
afif16
hello everyone. I'm taking a diploma in civil engineering and think to switch to mechanical engineering for my degree. What i'm worry about is i'm afraid that i can't catch up with the new syllabus because from i heard that mechanical engineering have more calculation than civil engineering. Is that very difficult to learn? or i should just stay with civil engineering? i need some advice here.

Answers and Replies

UltrafastPED
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Every field of engineering has a large body of knowledge of its own. This specialization takes several years, and usually includes projects as a learning experience.

For example, I expect a civil engineer to understand concrete, road building, soil stabilization ... while a mechanical engineer will understand vibrations, bolts, pressure, etc. And this just skims the surface!

You should talk to your academic advisor in the engineering school - they will have experience with students wanting to switch tracks. It may be best to finish the current degree, then obtain a second one in mechanical engineering - and yes, this will involve more mathematics. Mechanical engineers make more use of linear algebra and differential equations due to the practical study of dynamics.

Suggested for: Civil Engineering to Mechanical Engineering

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies