Clarification on derivations of specific heats in fluids

In summary, the 1st law of thermodynamics states that dU = δQ - δW = δQ - PdV. The relationship between enthalpy and thermodynamic energy is given by the following equation:(∂U/∂T)V = (∂Q/∂T)V = CV. Finally, the incremental form of the enthalpy relation is given bydH = δQ - VdP.
Kori Smith
Hello! I understand what specific heats are and how to derive them. I just feel that I'm missing a little something in the methodology.

Consider the 1st law of thermodynamics and the definition of enthalpy:

1) dU = δQ -δW = δQ - PdV
2) H = Q - VP

For the derivation of CV, dV = 0 and the relationship becomes

(∂U/∂T)V = (∂Q/∂T)V = CV

For the derivation of CP, something happens that I don't quite understand. Sources I've found say that the incremental form of the enthalpy relation is given as

3) dH = δQ - VdP

since dP = 0, it becomes

(∂U/∂T)P = (∂Q/∂T)P = CP

but why do we write it like this? Wouldn't the chain rule for differentiation apply to d(VP) s.t. it becomes

d(VP) = VdP + PdV

in which case, where does the PdV component in EQ (3) go? Thanks ahead of time for the clarification!

Science news on Phys.org
The definition of enthalpy is not correct. Enthalpy is a state function, like U, T, V or p. It is defined by:
H = U + pV. Then instead of your equ. (3):

dH = dU + pdV + Vdp = δQ + Vdp, so that, for a constant pressure process, dp = 0, and
dH = δQ,
(∂H/∂T)p = (∂Q/∂T)p = Cp

The problem with the definition of enthalpy that you gave is that there is no state function called Q, so you cannot define any state function in terms of something called Q.

Chandra Prayaga said:
The definition of enthalpy is not correct. Enthalpy is a state function, like U, T, V or p. It is defined by:
H = U + pV. Then instead of your equ. (3):

dH = dU + pdV + Vdp = δQ + Vdp, so that, for a constant pressure process, dp = 0, and
dH = δQ,
(∂H/∂T)p = (∂Q/∂T)p = Cp

The problem with the definition of enthalpy that you gave is that there is no state function called Q, so you cannot define any state function in terms of something called Q.

Woops! I made a typo. As usual, my issue boils down to simple errors. When I look at it again, I see that

dH = dU + pdV + Vdp = δQ - δW +pdV + Vdp = δQ + Vdp + (pdV - δW) = δQ + Vdp

since δW = pdV (pressure-volume work). Which is exactly as it should be and explains where the missing pdV went.

Absolutely.

1. What is the definition of specific heat in fluids?

Specific heat in fluids is a measure of the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a unit mass of the fluid by one degree Celsius.

2. How is specific heat different for different types of fluids?

Specific heat can vary for different types of fluids due to differences in their molecular structure and composition. For example, gases have a higher specific heat than liquids, and within liquids, the specific heat can vary based on the strength of intermolecular forces.

3. How do you calculate the specific heat of a fluid?

The specific heat of a fluid can be calculated using the formula c = Q/(mΔT), where c is the specific heat, Q is the heat added, m is the mass of the fluid, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. What is the relationship between specific heat and temperature in fluids?

Specific heat and temperature have an inverse relationship in fluids. This means that as the temperature of a fluid increases, its specific heat decreases, and vice versa.

5. Why is the concept of specific heat important in fluid mechanics?

The concept of specific heat is important in fluid mechanics because it helps us understand how fluids respond to changes in temperature and how much energy is required to achieve a certain change in temperature. This is crucial in applications such as heating and cooling systems, and in understanding fluid dynamics in various engineering and scientific fields.