1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clarification on propagation directions of wave equations

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    I would like to ask some questions to confirm if what I have acquired so far are correct, please point out my faults if any.
    If all the below statements are too bulky to read, my question is actually as short as:
    [tex]\psi (x) = A{e^{-j(kx - \omega t)}}[/tex]
    What is the propagation direction of this wave? Positive x or negative x? Why(which terms tell this)?

Regarding the propagation direction of wave equations, to the best of my understanding, in the following wave equation:
    [tex]\psi (x) = A{e^{ - j(kx - \omega t)}}[/tex], let B = [tex]j(kx - \omega t)[/tex]
    The direction of the wave propagation is towards the positive x direction (+ve), for the following reasons:
    1. when we consider the exponential, we are actually taking only the real part of it, which is [tex]\cos (kx - \omega t)[/tex].
    As [tex]\cos x = \cos ( - x)[/tex], therefore no matter the sign before B is + or - (i.e. [tex]\psi (x) = A{e^{j(kx - \omega t)}}{\rm{ }}or{\rm{ }}\psi (x) = A{e^{ - j(kx - \omega t)}}[/tex]), the propagation direction will not change, remains as positive x direction.

However, from a lecture note I recently read, I saw something kind of contradicting to the above:
    [tex]\psi (x) = A{e^{j(kx - \omega t)}}{\rm{ + }}B{e^{ - j(kx - \omega t)}}[/tex]
    "Consider a free particle that travels only in the positive direction of x. Let the arbitrary constant B be zero."
    It seems the negative sign on the latter term told us that it's propagating towards negative x direction and that is omitted, which is not consistent with my previous understanding of wave equations.

I am sorry if I have put too much redundancy here, simply trying to make it as clearly as I can.
    Thanks for reading.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2
    [tex]\psi (x) = A{e^{j(kx - \omega t)}}[/tex]

The [phase] velocity of the wave given by the equation above is ω/k. You may notice that ω/k = (-ω)/(-k).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  4. Sep 24, 2012 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think there is a typo here. The general solution is of the form f(x-ct) + g(x+ct) for arbitrary functions f and g, representing waves travelling in each directiion. Your notes should be
    [tex]\psi (x) = A{e^{j(kx - \omega t)}}{\rm{ + }}B{e^{ j(kx + \omega t)}}[/tex]
    or something equivalent to that.

5. Sep 24, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the clarification,
    from the phase velocity then it means the propagation direction is determined by the sign difference between k and \omega.

Also, yes I think that is a typo after reading more, thanks for pointing out:biggrin:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  6. Oct 8, 2012 #5
    Allow me to have one follow up question,
    why it should be kx-wt ending up with a relationship of v = (positive w) / (positive k)?
    The sign before w is a negative sign(-).:confused:

And in the same way when we consider a wave Acos(kx+wt), we say v = k/-w and the wave propagate in -x direction.

Would you share more on where does the conclusion [(kx-wt) = positive x direction] stem from?
    Thank you.

7. Oct 8, 2012 #6
    Trying to ans own question:
    for a wave A = Ao cos(kx-wt),
    in case of an increased t, from the relation (kx-wt), the particle possessing same amplitude should have been shifted to the right(in (kx-wt), x is also increased to oppose the change of t making (kx-wt) a constant to keep the amplitude).
    With all particles having the same, the waveform will therefore move in +x direction.

This is phenomenal explanation I can come up with.
    Please let me know in case there is a concrete mathematics deviation which I will be happier with.:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook