1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Classical Dynamics: A Contemporary Approach by José and Saletan

1. Strongly Recommend

100.0%
  2. Lightly Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lightly don't Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Strongly don't Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Feb 6, 2013 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2013 #2
    The biggest con to this text is its notation; its insistant to use summation notation for every equation made the entire read an eyesore.

Content-wise, however, it is encyclopedic, exemplified by an impressive bibliography. This is both good and bad. For example, some texts stress that the principle of least action is actually the principle of stationary action. José and Saletan tells us exactly what Lagrangians minimize action....without justification. In fact, because the book is so encyclopedic, a vast amount of material under justified, the most egregious example being Darboux's theorem. Because of this, I am not sure I can recommend this as a stand-alone text for any course. However, as a supplement, it excells.

José and Saletan stress geometrical intuition as a way to decode the equations of dynamics. In this endeavor, the text is a success. I think that because of this, the text makes a great supplement to Arnold's masterpiece, helping the reader visualize the geometrical framework that Arnold uses to construct classical dynamics. Overall, I strongly recommend the text.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook