• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Classical Classical Dynamics: A Contemporary Approach by José and Saletan

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date

For those who have used this book

• Lightly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly don't Recommend

• Strongly don't Recommend

• Total voters
The biggest con to this text is its notation; its insistant to use summation notation for every equation made the entire read an eyesore.

Content-wise, however, it is encyclopedic, exemplified by an impressive bibliography. This is both good and bad. For example, some texts stress that the principle of least action is actually the principle of stationary action. José and Saletan tells us exactly what Lagrangians minimize action....without justification. In fact, because the book is so encyclopedic, a vast amount of material under justified, the most egregious example being Darboux's theorem. Because of this, I am not sure I can recommend this as a stand-alone text for any course. However, as a supplement, it excells.

José and Saletan stress geometrical intuition as a way to decode the equations of dynamics. In this endeavor, the text is a success. I think that because of this, the text makes a great supplement to Arnold's masterpiece, helping the reader visualize the geometrical framework that Arnold uses to construct classical dynamics. Overall, I strongly recommend the text.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads