Classical mechanics differential equation F(x) = -kx

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation to find the position of a particle with initial conditions of zero position and initial velocity v0, subject to a force F(x) = -kx. The discussion covers different methods of solving the equation, such as using the work-energy theorem or Newton's second law, and ultimately concludes that the equation can be simplified to a second order ordinary differential equation with constant coefficients, which can be solved to find x as a function of t.
Salvador_

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is subject to a force F (x) = -kx. The initial position is
zero, and the initial speed is v0. Find x(t).

Homework Equations

F = m*v*dv/dx = -kx
v = dx/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm new to differential equations, so please excuse me if I make any amateurish mistakes.
-kx = mv*dv/dx
After integrating:
-kx2/2 + c = mv2/2
v2 = -kx2 + c

This is the part I'm unsure about, the inital values:
v2(0) = 0 + c = v02
So c = v02

v = (v02 - kx2/m)1/2

dx/v(x) = dt
After integrating: (a bit messy)
t = (m/k)1/2*arcsin(x*(k/v02m)1/2) + c
c=0
Just wanted to know if I went wrong somewhere as I'm not convinced by the final answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are to find x as a function of t, it makes more sense to solve the differential equation in time. You can do it like that if you really want to complicate your life... just solve for x from your expression.

Orodruin said:
You are to find x as a function of t, it makes more sense to solve the differential equation in time. You can do it like that if you really want to complicate your life... just solve for x from your expression.
How would I go about doing this? I'm not sure how to solve in time if the function is of position.

Salvador_ said:
How would I go about doing this? I'm not sure how to solve in time if the function is of position.
What function is of position? There are only functions of time. The force is a function of position, which is a function of time. What you have to do is to solve the resulting differential equation.

Also, the work-energy theorem is not really what you want to use. Newton 2 will suffice.

Orodruin said:
What function is of position? There are only functions of time. The force is a function of position, which is a function of time. What you have to do is to solve the resulting differential equation.
Then I'd have dv/dt = -kx
dv = -kx*dt
I'm guessing that's not what you meant because the integral doesn't make sense.

Salvador_ said:
Then I'd have dv/dt = -kx
dv = -kx*dt
I'm guessing that's not what you meant because the integral doesn't make sense.
Of course it makes sense (the first expression is what you want to work with - apart from missing the mass), it is a differential equation. What is v in terms of x?

Orodruin said:
Of course it makes sense (the first expression is what you want to work with - apart from missing the mass), it is a differential equation. What is v in terms of x?
Sorry but I just don't know how to solve it if the left side is with respect to time and the other side is position.

Salvador_ said:

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is subject to a force F (x) = -kx. The initial position is
zero, and the initial speed is v0. Find x(t).

Homework Equations

F = m*v*dv/dx = -kx
v = dx/dt
Net force = mass times acceleration, but you have F = (mass)*(velocity)*(dv / dx) {dv/dt is acceleration}
Why have you set it up dv/dx?
How about just this: Net force = (mass)*(dv/dt) which is (mass)*(d2x/dt2)

To expand on what @scottdave said, you have the following 2nd order ordinary differential equation with constant coefficients:$$m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=-kx$$Do you know how to solve this equation for x as a function of t?

Salvador_ said:
Sorry but I just don't know how to solve it if the left side is with respect to time and the other side is position.
The time derivative of velocity is the second derivative of position. This results in a linear second order differential equation with constant coefficients.

scottdave said:
Net force = mass times acceleration, but you have F = (mass)*(velocity)*(dv / dx) {dv/dt is acceleration}
I set it up as dv/dx so I could integrate both sides (with respect to position on one side and velocity on the other. v* dv/dx = dx/dt * dv/dx so the dx's cancel out to get dv/dt.
The book I've been using (Morin) was introducing me to this and I haven't done second order DE's yet.

scottdave said:
I set it up as dv/dx so I could integrate both sides (with respect to position on one side and velocity on the other. v* dv/dx = dx/dt * dv/dx so the dx's cancel out to get dv/dt.
Chestermiller said:
To expand on what @scottdave said, you have the following 2nd order ordinary differential equation with constant coefficients:$$m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=-kx$$Do you know how to solve this equation for x as a function of t?
No I've been using Morin's CM book and have only been introduced to first order DE's so far.

Orodruin said:
The time derivative of velocity is the second derivative of position. This results in a linear second order differential equation with constant coefficients.
Oh ok, I've been trying to solve it in first order because I haven't been introduced to second order yet.

Can you think of a function, which when you take the derivative of it twice, gives you back the negative of the function (multiplied by a constant)? Note that the behavior of the mass/spring is to oscillate back and forth.

Oh yes I
scottdave said:
Can you think of a function, which when you take the derivative of it twice, gives you back the negative of the function (multiplied by a constant)? Note that the behavior of the mass/spring is to oscillate back and forth.
I yes I recognise it's cos and sin. Thanks all.

Likes scottdave
Salvador_ said:
After integrating: (a bit messy)
t = (m/k)1/2*arcsin(x*(k/v02m)1/2) + c
c=0.
You did well to get to this, and it is quite easy from there. Just turn it around to make it x as a function of t:
(t - c)(k/m)1/2=arcsin(x*(k/v02m)1/2)
sin((t - c)(k/m)1/2)=x*(k/v02m)1/2
etc.

Likes Salvador_
Since it is messy, as you said, one good thing is to check dimensions, which may reveal possible errors
From your formula, (m/k)1/2 needs to have the dimension of time. Knowing that Force = -kx, you can find that k has dimension of mass/time2. Working that through, it does indeed have dimension of time. Then argument of arcsine needs to be dimensionless.
(x*(k/v02m)1/2) It indeed does turn out to be dimensionless.

Likes Salvador_
Salvador_ said:
Oh yes I

I yes I recognise it's cos and sin. Thanks all.
Were you able to get the correct answer?

scottdave said:
Were you able to get the correct answer?
I'm thinking it's:
x = cos(kt)/k + v0sin(kt)/k -1/k
So when t=0 , x=0 and v=v0

Salvador_ said:
I'm thinking it's:
Wait I think this is wrong because a isn't equal to -kx then.

x = c*cos(k1/2t) + vo*sin(k.5t)/k1/2
Would I be allowed to set c=0 to make x(0) = 0 so it'll then just be:

X = Vo*
sin(k.5t)/k1/2

Salvador_ said:
I'm thinking it's:
What is the 1/k term doing there?

Salvador_ said:
x = c*cos(k1/2t) + vo*sin(k.5t)/k1/2
Would I be allowed to set c=0 to make x(0) = 0 so it'll then just be:

X = Vo*
sin(k.5t)/k1/2
A priori, the constant in front of the sine term should be arbitrary as well. It is when you adapt to the initial conditions that these constants are fixed.

Also, the expression for x(t) should wind up having dimension of length. This means that c*cos() should have dimension of length {cosine and sine are ratios - remember your triangles, so are dimensionless}. Also, v0/k1/2 needs to have dimension length. You need to know the dimensions of k. Going back to the original definition of the spring: Force = -k*x, so k has dimensions of Force / Length, which reduces to Mass / Time2.
And another thing, the argument of sine( ) and cosine( ) need to be dimensionless. Your expression will not meet these requirements.

Last thing, when you think you have the answer for x(t), you can take the second derivative, then plug back into your original differential equation, to see if it satisfies it.

1. What is the significance of F(x) = -kx in classical mechanics?

The equation F(x) = -kx represents Hooke's law, which describes the relationship between the force applied to an elastic object and its resulting displacement. It is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics and is used to understand the behavior of springs, pendulums, and other systems.

2. How is the constant k determined in this equation?

The constant k, also known as the spring constant, is determined by the properties of the system being studied. It depends on factors such as the material of the object, its dimensions, and the way it is connected to other objects. It can also be calculated experimentally by measuring the force and displacement of the object.

3. Can this equation be used to describe the motion of all objects in classical mechanics?

No, F(x) = -kx is specifically used to describe the motion of objects that follow Hooke's law, such as springs and pendulums. Other objects may follow different equations of motion, such as Newton's laws of motion or the equations of motion for rotational systems.

4. How is this equation related to Newton's second law of motion?

F(x) = -kx is derived from Newton's second law, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). By substituting acceleration with the second derivative of displacement (x''), the equation F(x) = -kx is obtained.

5. Can this equation be solved analytically or does it require numerical methods?

This equation can be solved analytically for simple systems, such as a mass attached to a spring. However, for more complex systems, numerical methods may be required to find a solution. These methods involve using algorithms to approximate the solution by breaking it down into smaller steps.