Classical Mechanics, Double Star, Find the ratio of the masses

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
cum
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The two components of a double star are observed to move in circles of radii r1 and r2. What is the ratio of their masses? (Hint: Write down their accelerations in terms of the angular velocity of rotation, ω.)



Homework Equations


Newton's 2nd law? law of gravitation?


The Attempt at a Solution



I don't know what a double star is and hence I don't know what the system is doing.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi cum! welcome to pf! :smile:
cum said:
I don't know what a double star is and hence I don't know what the system is doing.

a double star is two stars, each moving in a circle round their common centre of mass :wink:
 


tiny-tim said:
hi cum! welcome to pf! :smile:


a double star is two stars, each moving in a circle round their common centre of mass :wink:

Thanks.

Simple enough, all I had to do was let their centripetal force be equal.