Classical mechanics:effective spring const

In summary, the effective spring constant for the system of the two springs, perfect pulley, and string can be modeled by just one spring with a constant keff. This is achieved by adding the springs in parallel and using the superposition principle. The F end of the string will move by 2x1 when the pulley descends by x1, and this does not affect the presumption of superposition.
REVIANNA

Homework Statement

problems_MIT_rayyan_Physics801_Figures_Spring_constants.png
[/B]
What is the effective spring constant for the system of the two springs, perfect pulley, and string shown on the left for it to be modeled by just one spring (constant keff) as shown on the right? Use only the variables k1 and k2 in your answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the springs in parallel get added because they undergo same change in distance and springs in series have the same effective constant as resistors in parallel .They experience equal forces.
I don't understand that will happen in the given sitch ,will the lower spring (2) stretch? will the upper spring stretch too?(because we are pulling down) how will I write the equations? I know that the force experienced by both is equal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both spring will stretch.

Work out the forces that each spring will experience. Draw a FBD for the pulley, identify the tensions.
Consider using the superposition principle to figure out by how much the "F end" of the lower string will move.

gneill said:
how much the "F end" of the lower string will move.
what's F end?

REVIANNA said:
what's F end?
The end where the force "F" is applied to the string.

gneill said:
identify the tensions.

since the system is in equilibrium,
##F=k_1x_1-k_2x_2##x_1 and x_2 should be equal?
( taking down as +ve)

gneill said:
using the superposition principle to figure out by how much the "F end" of the lower string will move.
you mean to think as if F is applied only on lower spring?
##F=x_2k_2##
##x_2=F/k_2##

REVIANNA said:
since the system is in equilibrium,
##F=k_1x_1-k_2x_2##x_1 and x_2 should be equal?
( taking down as +ve)
I don't think there's any guarantee of that. And in fact it would take a special relationship between k1 and k2 for that to be true. The pulley system here has some mechanical advantage involved.
you mean to think as if F is applied only on lower spring?
##F=x_2k_2##
##x_2=F/k_2##
Yes, that's one case, so you know how much the rope will move due to spring k2 stretching with force F. Next consider the net force that's applied to the k1 spring and how much it must stretch as a result. If the pulley descends by that much, how much does the string descend on the "F end"? Note that the pulley can turn! You might want to think of the spring k2 being fixed for this case, that is, replaced by a fixed length string.

gneill said:
Next consider the net force that's applied to the k1 spring and how much it must stretch as a result
##x_1=(F+x_2k_2)/k_1##
gneill said:
If the pulley descends by that much, how much does the string descend on the "F end"
the F end will descend by ##x_1+x_2##
##F=(x_1+x_2)k_e##
surely I am making a mistake because in the k_eff term the coefficient of k_2 is 4 not 2

I think you're trying to combine steps and incorporating an incorrect assumption.

First, what is the tension on both sides of the string passing over the pulley? Then using an FBD of the pulley, what must be the force pulling down on spring k1?

Next, Suppose the pulley drops by some amount Δx1, how far does the string end move? Be careful here!

gneill said:
Suppose the pulley drops by some amount Δx1, how far does the string end move?
thinking the lower spring to be just a fixed string. if the pulley descends by x_1 , the string will slack by x_1 so to be taut the F end will descent by 2x_1.
this gives me the correct answer
but will this "slack"- compression of the k2 spring not disturb our presumption of superposition?

REVIANNA said:
thinking the lower spring to be just a fixed string. if the pulley descends by x_1 , the string will slack by x_1 so to be taut the F end will descent by 2x_1.
this gives me the correct answer
but will this "slack"- compression of the k2 spring not disturb our presumption of superposition?
Nope. That's a nice thing about superposition for a linear system. You can "suppress" parts of the system and analyze what the rest is up to and how it contributes to the whole.

Likes REVIANNA

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of objects under the influence of forces. It is based on the laws of motion formulated by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What is an effective spring constant?

An effective spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. It is often used in calculations involving simple harmonic motion.

3. How is the effective spring constant calculated?

The effective spring constant can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring. It can also be calculated by taking the product of the spring's stiffness and the length of the spring.

4. What factors affect the effective spring constant?

The effective spring constant can be affected by the material and shape of the spring, as well as the length and diameter of the spring. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and strain.

5. Why is the effective spring constant important in classical mechanics?

The effective spring constant is important in classical mechanics because it allows us to accurately model and predict the behavior of objects under the influence of forces. It is also essential in understanding the concepts of potential energy and simple harmonic motion.