1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical mechanics - Lagrange multipliers

1. Dec 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A disk moves on an inclined plane, with the constraint that it's velocity is always at the same direction as it's plane (similar to an ice skate, maybe). In other words: If [tex]\hat{n}[/tex] is a vector normal to the disk's plane, we have at all times: [tex]\hat{n} \cdot \vec{v} = 0[/tex]. Also, it's free to move without friction, and always perpendicular to the plane. (as seen in the figure.)

I need to get and solve the equations of motion for certain initial conditions that I'll write promptly. We set an x-y coordinate system at the top-right corner of the plane with the y axis going downwards, and denote that angle between [tex]\hat{n}[/tex] as [tex]\varphi[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

The constraint is:

[tex]c_1 = \dot{x}\cos\varphi + \dot{y}\sin\varphi[/tex]

and accordingly the Lagrangian is:

[tex]L = \frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2) + \frac{1}{2}I\dot{\varphi}^2 + mgy + \lambda(\dot{x}\cos\varphi + \dot{y}\sin\varphi)[/tex]

The initial conditions that were given are that at t=0:

[tex]x=0, y=0, \dot{x}=0, \dot{y}=0, \varphi = 0, \dot{\varphi} = \omega_0 [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The obvious way of solving is to use Euler-lagrange and get the equations of motion. The problem is that I can't solve them! They're too damn complicated. There is a hint that I should try to find constants of motion by setting t=0 in the equations, but I can't seem to find them.

I would appreciate any help...

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2008 #2
    ok well if [itex] y=0 [/atex] and [itex] \dot y=0 [/itex] then [itex] y=0 \forall t [/itex] which will simplfy your Lagrangian
  4. Dec 18, 2008 #3
    The same would happen for [itex] x [/itex] so I get [itex] L = \frac{1}{2} I {\omega_0}^{2} [/itex] Then solving the Euler-Lagrange I get [itex] I \ddot \psi = 0 [/itex]. This could be massively wrong but I though I'd give it a shot anyway.
  5. Dec 23, 2008 #4
    Thanks, I solved it by variating the action integral - the TA said that Lagrange multipliers give here the wrong answer, and he doesn't know why. I guess it's a question for mathematicians to answer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?