1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mechanics: Lagrangian for pendulum with oscillating support

1. Feb 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Greetings! This is an example problem at the end of Chapter 1 in Mechanics (Landau):
    A simple pendulum of mass m whose point of support oscillates horizontally in the plane of motion of the pendulum according to the law [tex] x=acos(\gamma t) [/tex].
    Find the Lagrangian.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex] x = a cos(\gamma t) + l sin(\phi) ; y = l cos(\phi) [/tex]

Where, [tex] \phi [/tex] is the angle the pendulum makes with the vertical. Then:

[tex]
    \dot{x}= -a\gamma sin(\gamma t)+l cos(\phi) \dot{\phi} ; \dot{y} = -l sin(\phi) \dot{\phi}[/tex]

[tex]
    L = T - U = \frac{1}{2} m ( \dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2) - U
    [/tex]

Which gives (ignoring full time derivative terms):
    [tex]
    L = \frac{1}{2} ml^2 \dot{\phi}^2 - m l a \gamma sin (\gamma t) cos(\phi)\dot{\phi} + m g l cos(\phi)
    [/tex]

Answer given in the book:
    [tex]
    L = \frac{1}{2} ml^2 \dot{\phi}^2 + m l a \gamma^2 cos (\gamma t) sin(\phi) + m g l cos(\phi)
    [/tex]

My solution is different from the one given in the book. Could someone please tell me where I'm going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2015 #2
    for sure, there is a total derivated connecting both.

4. May 12, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Funny, the internet pdf (2nd edition) has a problem 2 and a problem 3 that show similarities. If I look at problem 2 (and remove m1) that's just what you find:
    upload_2015-5-12_23-26-18.png
    in your case x(t) is given, and ##(-a\gamma \sin\gamma t)^2 ## isn't interesting (can you tell why not?), so that leaves your expression !

Note that ##a sin\gamma t## is not as clear as ##a\sin\gamma t## ( a \sin \gamma t ) because some folks might interpret the ##asin## as ##\arcsin## ( \arcsin ).
    In addition, TeX recognizes the \sin as a function and takes care of proper spacing !

--

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted