1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical mechanics reference book

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    Hi All,

Kindly suggest me an alternative book for "Classical Mechanics by Goldstein". I am finding it little bit difficult to understand so if i can find any alternate book which is little less complicated than Goldstein it will be helpful for me. I am concentrating on the below mentioned topics and particularly to problems in CM:

Conservation laws; central forces, Kepler problem and planetary motion; collisions and scattering in laboratory and
    centre of mass frames; mechanics of system of particles; rigid body dynamics; moment of inertia tensor; noninertial frames and pseudo
    forces; variational principle; Lagrange’s and Hamilton’s formalisms; equation of motion, cyclic coordinates, Poisson bracket; periodic
    motion, small oscillations, normal modes; special theory of relativity – Lorentz transformations, relativistic kinematics, mass-energy
    equivalence

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 14, 2009 #3
    I would second this book. I used the preprint version when I studied classical mechanics and taught from this for an undergraduate classical mechanics class. As a supplement to Goldstein it would be good. I do not think it covers Poisson Brackets, however.

5. Oct 15, 2009 #4
    Thanks for reply :)
    Kindly give ur opinion on "Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems - Marion, Thornton". Does this book serve my purpose which i have mentioned in my first post?? (Becoz i have soft copy of this book, so will it be as helpful as John R Taylor's book?

6. Oct 15, 2009 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Marion and Thorton is a standard mechanics book that is a little lower level than Goldstein. If you already have a(n) (illegal?) copy, then you should see if it's useful as a supplement to Goldstein. Poisson brackets are relegated to a single exercise.

7. Oct 15, 2009 #6
    Thanks George :)

8. Oct 24, 2009 #7
    A book I'm currently reading is
    Classical Dynamics: A Contemporary Approach- Jose & Saletan

This is a book at a level between Goldstein and Marsden or Arnold. This book gives a LOT of physical insight, however, I found that the logic can be hard to follow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook