Classical mechanics with time dependent force

In summary, A point mass is subjected to a time-dependent force, and must be determined for the initial conditions of r(0) = r_{0}and v(0) = v_{0}. Using the attempt at a solution, a generic formula for r(t) is found that holds true for any F(t). However, to find r(t) you need to integrate first.
shyta

Homework Statement

A point mass m is exposed to a time dependent force F(t). Determine the position r(t) of the point mass for the initial conditions r(0) = [itex]r_{0}[/itex]and v(0) = [itex]v_{0}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\sum[/itex]F= ma
[itex]F_{z}[/itex](t) - mg = ma

a = 1/m [itex]F_{z}[/itex](t) - g
v = 1/m [itex]\int[/itex][itex]F_{z}[/itex](t) dt - [itex]\int[/itex]g dt
but how do I start to int F(t) without knowing the equation for F itself?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi shyta! :smile:

Since you don't know the actual F(t), what you will have to do is to find a generic formula for r(t) that holds true for any F(t).
Basically that's what you've already been doing, so that's good! :smile:

Some comments on your attempt:

Do you have a reason to assume F(t) is vertical, and furthermore that gravity is not included in F(t) itself?

You have been given the boundary condition v = v0.
You should incorporate that in your formula.

And you haven't calculated r(t) yet.

shyta said:

Homework Statement

A point mass m is exposed to a time dependent force F(t). Determine the position r(t) of the point mass for the initial conditions r(0) = [itex]r_{0}[/itex]and v(0) = [itex]v_{0}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\sum[/itex]F= ma
[itex]F_{z}[/itex](t) - mg = ma

a = 1/m [itex]F_{z}[/itex](t) - g
v = 1/m [itex]\int[/itex][itex]F_{z}[/itex](t) dt - [itex]\int[/itex]g dt
but how do I start to int F(t) without knowing the equation for F itself?

Consider how much impact you would add to the mass when

m*Vi + integral ( F dt ) [from 0 to t] = m*v(t)

but after you find v(t), find r(t) by integration and please note that you are working with vectors here !

Hi both! thanks for the replies.

iloveserena: I was trying to simplify things by considering the z-direction forces first, maybe i was over-simplifying/

Now assuming I follow stallionx's equation,

then v(t) = v_0 + 1/m [itex]\int[/itex]F(t) dt from 0 to T
v(t) = v_0 + [itex]\int[/itex]dv/dt dt from 0 to T
v(t) = v_0 + [itex]\int[/itex] dv from v to v+aT

am I in the correct direction?

shyta said:
then v(t) = v_0 + 1/m [itex]\int[/itex]F(t) dt from 0 to T

Yep. That's the formula for v as far as you can define it from the generic F(t).
shyta said:
v(t) = v_0 + [itex]\int[/itex]dv/dt dt from 0 to T
v(t) = v_0 + [itex]\int[/itex] dv from v to v+aT

am I in the correct direction?

No. These formulas basically only say that v=v.
But you need v based on F(t), which is what you already had.

You need to take the next step, by trying to define r(t).
Btw, for these formulas it is irrelevant whether they are vectors or scalars.
The formulas are true for both.

v(t) = v_0 + 1/m ∫F(t) dt from 0 to T

r(t) = v_0T + 1/m ∫∫ F(t) dtdt from 0 to T

But it makes not much sense from this equation because there is a last part that says check that you get the familiar results when F(t) = mg is constant in time

Well, you should use different symbols when integrating, and use "t" consistently.
Let me rewrite your equation:
[tex]r(t) = v_0 t + {1 \over m} \int_0^t \int_0^{\tau'} F(\tau) d\tau d\tau'[/tex]

Can you work this out for F(t)=mg?

I like Serena said:
Well, you should use different symbols when integrating, and use "t" consistently.
Let me rewrite your equation:
[tex]r(t) = v_0 t + {1 \over m} \int_0^t \int_0^{\tau'} F(\tau) d\tau d\tau'[/tex]

Can you work this out for F(t)=mg?

I got the equation :) thanks!

however just a quick query, why is there a need for the different symbols when integrating if it's the same closed intervals?

I was not sure if the integration confused you, so I made it more explicit.
I guess in this case the difference is not all to obvious, since the result will come out the same.
To illustrate the difference consider the following 2 integrals:
[tex]\int_0^t t \cdot \tau d\tau = {1 \over 2}t^3[/tex]
versus
[tex]\int_0^t t \cdot t dt = {1 \over 3}t^3[/tex]
See the difference?
Btw, your equation for r(t) is not right yet.
You missed something.

oh i see i see.

for the r(t) equation do you mean the initial conditions?

Yep! :wink:

Hehe I got that! Thanks for the reminder and help! :)

1. What is classical mechanics with time dependent force?

Classical mechanics with time dependent force is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects under the influence of a force that changes over time. This field is based on the laws of classical mechanics, which describe how forces affect the motion of objects.

2. What types of forces can be considered time dependent?

Any force that changes in magnitude or direction over time can be considered time dependent. For example, a spring force, gravitational force, or electromagnetic force can all be time dependent if their properties change over time.

3. How does time dependence affect the motion of objects?

Time dependence can significantly influence the motion of objects. It can cause changes in velocity, acceleration, and the overall trajectory of an object. In some cases, time dependence can lead to chaotic or unpredictable behavior.

4. What are some real-world applications of classical mechanics with time dependent force?

Classical mechanics with time dependent force has many practical applications. For example, it is used in the study of celestial mechanics to understand the motion of planets and other celestial bodies. It is also used in engineering and design, such as in the development of shock absorbers for cars.

5. How is classical mechanics with time dependent force related to other fields of physics?

Classical mechanics with time dependent force is closely related to other fields of physics, such as electromagnetism and thermodynamics. It also serves as the foundation for more advanced theories, such as quantum mechanics and relativity. Understanding classical mechanics with time dependent force is essential for understanding the fundamental laws that govern our universe.