Classical Potential Barriers and their Resultant Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of writing a code to solve Hamilton's equations for a classical particle incident on different potential barriers in 1D. The individual is encountering difficulties incorporating a rectangular barrier into the code due to the infinite force acting over an infinitesimally small time step. The conversation also explores potential solutions, such as treating the edges as a special case or finding a more elegant mathematical approach. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the most effective approach may be to use a reflection of the momentum over the plane perpendicular to the normal of the barrier, with a value of -2p in the limiting case.
ZombieKitty
So, I'm writing a code to solve Hamilton's equations for a free classical particle incident on different potential barriers in 1D. I'm eventually going to be using this for some sort of semi-classical analysis, but for now have to get this working as expected.

I first tested it using a Gaussian barrier, which works.. I'm now trying to incorporate a rectangular barrier, but I know I'm getting something wrong with the physics.

The square barrier is just a piecewise defined as follows:
U = Uo for -a<=x<=a
= 0 elsewhere

The Hamiltonian is as simple as it gets:
H = p^2/(2m) + U

So, dH/dp = p/m = dx/dt and dH/dx = dU/dx = -dp/dt
These are the two equations that I propagate simultaneously using an RK4 algorithm.

My problem is how to handle the square potential numerically. Since dU/dx is infinite at the edges, there's basically an infinite force acting over an infinitesimally small time dt. Any hints as to how to code this into my program? My thoughts are that it has to do with the timestep... because any arbitrarily large slope that I code in is acting over one timestep, dt, which is too large.

I'm trying to think about the change in momentum analytically. I basically have the following:

Δp = ∫F dt = ∫-dU/dx dt

So, at the edges, dU/dx -> ∞ and dt -> 0

I know that analytically, if the incident particle does not have E > V, then it will reflect with equal and opposite momentum.

So Δp = -2p = ∫-dU/dx dt

I'm not quite sure how to resolve -2p in the limiting case analytically.. I think if I can figure this out, it will point me in the right direction as far as the coding goes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
To clarify I'm looking for how to handle dt, in the limiting case:

lim dU/dx → ∞
Δp = -2p = ∫-dU/dx dt

You probably need to write a special case for the edge and handle that separately. This is a collision detection problem. There are numerous resources in computer game programming on this. You need to find the normal vector of the barrier and reflect the momentum over the plane perpendicular to the normal of the barrier.

You can't apply a force over a small time step because the force is infinite. You could treat it as an impulse, which is just an instantaneous change in momentum.

^^
Thanks for the reply.

I can see how I could do the former as you said, treating the edges as a special case. It's rather simple in 1D as well.. since the reflection of the momentum over the plane perpendicular to the normal = -pi (incident momentum)

I was, however, hoping to find a more elegant mathematical way of doing this. I was thinking of it in terms of an impulse, but I'm not sure how to handle it. I was thinking that this expression would lead me in the right direction:

I = Δp = ∫-dU/dx dt

If the incident momentum is p, then I know intuitively that I = -2p, since it will reflect with the same momentum in the opposite direction. I'm not sure how to resolve this analytically though.. Any ideas on this "proof":

lim dU/dx → ∞
I = ∫-dU/dx dt
Therefore, I=-2p

Consider if the barrier is not infinitely steep, but still very steep. Then the particle will penetrate the "edge" of the barrier (where it starts to increase), slow to a stop where T-V=0, and turn around and come right back out.
I = ∫-dU/dx dt {integral over t:-inf to inf}
Let t=0 be when T-V=0
I = ∫-dU/dx dt {integral over t:-inf to 0} + ∫-dU/dx dt {integral over t:0 to inf}
By symmetry these need to be equal
I = 2∫-dU/dx dt {integral over t:-inf to 0}
But p = 0 at t=0. So if p = p0 before it reaches the barrier, then I = -2*p0.

^^
Cute, thanks!

1. What is a classical potential barrier?

A classical potential barrier is a region in space where the potential energy is higher than the energy of a particle. This potential energy acts as a barrier, preventing the particle from passing through it.

2. What causes a classical potential barrier?

A classical potential barrier is caused by a change in the potential energy of a system. This can be due to the presence of a physical barrier, such as a wall or a potential energy function that increases at a certain point in space.

3. How do particles behave when encountering a classical potential barrier?

Particles behave differently when encountering a classical potential barrier depending on their energy. If the particle's energy is lower than the barrier, it will be reflected back. If the particle's energy is higher than the barrier, it can pass through the barrier with a certain probability, known as quantum tunneling.

4. What is the resultant force in a classical potential barrier?

The resultant force in a classical potential barrier is the force that acts on a particle due to the change in potential energy. This force can be attractive or repulsive, depending on the direction of the potential energy gradient.

5. How does the width and height of a classical potential barrier affect the resultant force?

The width and height of a classical potential barrier directly affect the resultant force. A wider and higher barrier will result in a stronger force acting on the particle, while a narrower and lower barrier will result in a weaker force. Additionally, a taller barrier will also result in a larger difference in potential energy, leading to a stronger force.