Equipartition theorem and Drag

In summary, the equipartition theorem tells us that there is no correlation between a canonical momentum and its own rate of change, while the drag term tells us that <p(dp/dt)> should be nonzero.
Opus_723
If I have a many-body Hamiltonian, and I choose a coordinate x with canonical momentum p, I can say that by the generalized equipartition theorem that

<p(dH/dx)> = -<p(dp/dt)> = 0

Since p and x are distinct phase space variables, and since by the Hamiltonian equations of motion the force (dp/dt) on coordinate x is equal to -dH/dx. So there is no correlation between a canonical momentum and its own rate of change, or the force acting on that coordinate.

On the other hand, if I imagine that my many body system is, for example, a heavy particle in a liquid or gas made of light particles, then there should be something like a drag force on the heavy particle. And a drag force is very obviously correlated with the momentum, with the force tending to be opposite the momentum. So it seems like <p(dp/dt)> should be nonzero.

Another way to see this is to simply look at the correlation in a typical Langevin equation.

So how do I reconcile the correlation between momentum and force at the more macroscopic level where we see 'drag' and the equipartition theorem telling me there should be no such correlation between a canonical momentum and its own rate of change?

Physics news on Phys.org
To derive dissipation (friction) from Hamiltonian dynamics you need to use some "coarse graining" in the sense of statistical mechanics. One way is to start from the Liouville equation, which is still an exact description of the ##N##-particle distribution function and use it to derive the Boltzmann equation for the one-particle distribution function. Doing so, you'll see that you get first an equation of motion for the one-particle distribution function containing the two-particle distribution function, for the two-particle distribution function you need the three-particle distribution function and so on (the so-called BBGKY hierarchy). To truncate this "tower of equations" for the distribution functions you assume that you can neglect two-particle correlations and substitute the two-particle correlation function by the product of two one-particle correlation functions, i.e., you only keep the uncorrelated part. This leads to the Boltzmann equation, and the H-theorem can be derived, which shows that you have entropy production and dissipation.

With the Boltzmann equation you can also derive the Fokker-Planck equation for the motion of a "heavy particle" in a "heat bath" of "light particles", because then in each two-body collision the momentum transfer to the heavy particle is small, and you can expand the collision term of the Boltzmann equation up to 2nd order in the momentum transfer, which reduces the Boltzmann integro-differential equation to the partial differential Fokker-Planck equation, which itself is again equivalent to a Langevin process, describing the interaction of the heavy particle with the medium by a friction term and a random-force term (friction/drag=dissipation and fluctuations=diffusion).

A very good introduction can be found in Landau and Lifshitz, Course of theoretical physics, Vol. X.

Likes hutchphd
Okay, that makes sense, but I'm having trouble seeing how the two pictures connect. If I measure <p(dp/dt)> for one particle, it should be zero, and yet the motion of that particle could be well described by a Langevin equation that has a nonzero <p(dp/dt)> due to the drag term. Is it just that Langevin equations get lots of statistics right but fundamentally fail to reproduce the correct <p(dp/dt)> because of the approximations involved, or am I still missing something that actually reconciles the two predictions?

1. What is the equipartition theorem?

The equipartition theorem is a principle in statistical mechanics that states that, in thermal equilibrium, the total energy of a system is equally distributed among all of its degrees of freedom. This means that each degree of freedom, such as a particle's position or velocity, will have an average energy of kT/2, where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature.

2. How does the equipartition theorem relate to the kinetic theory of gases?

The equipartition theorem provides a theoretical basis for the kinetic theory of gases, which explains the behavior of gases based on the motion of their individual molecules. The theorem predicts that, in a gas at thermal equilibrium, each molecule will have an average kinetic energy of kT/2, where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature.

3. What is drag and how does it affect motion?

Drag is a force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid, such as air or water. It is caused by the interaction between the object and the molecules of the fluid. Drag can significantly affect the motion of an object, slowing it down and changing its trajectory.

4. How does drag impact the motion of an object?

The magnitude of drag on an object depends on its shape, size, and speed, as well as the properties of the fluid it is moving through. At low speeds, drag is typically proportional to the object's velocity, while at high speeds, it becomes proportional to the square of the velocity. This means that as an object moves faster, the drag force will increase and eventually reach a maximum value, limiting the object's speed.

5. How does the equipartition theorem relate to drag?

The equipartition theorem can be used to calculate the average kinetic energy of molecules in a fluid, which in turn can help determine the magnitude of the drag force on an object moving through that fluid. This is because the drag force is caused by the transfer of energy from the object to the fluid molecules, and the equipartition theorem tells us how much energy each molecule should have on average. However, other factors such as the object's shape and the fluid's viscosity also play a role in determining the drag force.