1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classification of Groups of Order 12.

1. May 2, 2007 #1

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Classify the groups of order 12.

2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The professor has worked this out up to a point. He proved a corollary that states:

"Let G be a group of order 12 whose 3-Sylow subgroups are not normal. Then G is isomorphic to A_4."

After the proof he states:

"Thus, the classification of groups of order 12 depends only on classifying the split extensions of Z_3 by groups of order 4."

OK, fine. So I know that split extensions are semidirect products, and that there are only 2 groups of order 4. So I need to compute the following:

[itex]D_4 \times_{\alpha} \mathbb{Z}_3[/itex]
    [itex]\mathbb{Z}_4 \times_{\beta} \mathbb{Z}_3[/itex]

(sorry, don't know how to make the symbol for semidirect products)

Here's where the confusion begins. If I compare the semidirect products above with the definition of the same, then I see that I have to find the homomorphisms [itex]\alpha: \mathbb{Z}_3 \rightarrow Aut(D_4)[/itex] and [itex]\beta: \mathbb{Z}_3 \rightarrow Aut(\mathbb{Z}_4)[/itex].

The second one isn't so bad, but I would really like to turn the first one around so that the homomorphism comes out of [itex]D_4[/itex]. That's because I've already done a homework exercise that gives me all of the homomorphisms out of [itex]D_{2n}[/itex].

So, first question: Is [itex]D_4 \times_{\alpha} \mathbb{Z}_3[/itex] for some [itex]\alpha[/itex] isomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{Z}_3 \times_{\gamma} D_4[/itex] for some [itex]\gamma[/itex]? In other words, can I arrange it so that I'm looking for homomorphisms from [itex]D_4[/itex] to [itex]Aut(\mathbb{Z}_3)[/itex]?

Hope the question is clear.

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2007 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

In general, no. In a non-trivial semi-direct product one of the groups in the product is normal and the other isn't (where we think of the groups making up the product as embedded in semi-direct product in the natural way). So it isn't symmetric. But Aut(D_4) is a pretty simple group, and the homomorphisms from Z_3 into it are really easy to classify (ie, find the automorphisms of order dividing 3).

4. May 3, 2007 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's what I suspected.

OK thanks, I'll try it.

Here's a stupid question. The definition of semidirect product of H and K with respect to [itex]\alpha[/itex] is as follows.

"Let [itex]\alpha: K \rightarrow Aut(H)[/itex] be a homomorphism. By the semidirect product of H and K with respect to [itex]\alpha[/itex], written [itex]H \times_{\alpha} K[/itex], we mean the set [itex]H \times K[/itex] with the binary operation given by setting

[itex](h_1,k_1) \cdot (h_2,k_2) = (h_1 \cdot \alpha(k_1)(h_2),k_1k_2)[/itex]"

I'm a little unsure of what the right hand side of that last equation means. Since here [itex]H=D_4[/itex] and [itex]K=\mathbb{Z}_3[/itex], I suppose that in the first coordinate of the ordered pair I'll be multiplying in [itex]D_4[/itex], and in the second coordinate "[itex]k_1k_2[/itex]" means "addition of [itex]k_1[/itex] and [itex]k_2[/itex] mod 3". Is that right? Also, I am supposing that the object "[itex]\alpha(k_1)(h_2)[/itex]" is to be read as the product of [itex]\alpha(k_1)[/itex] and [itex]h_2[/itex] in [itex]D_4[/itex]. Is that also right?

5. May 3, 2007 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

[itex]\alpha[/itex] is a homomorphism from K to Aut(H), so [itex]\alpha(k_1)[/itex] is an automorphism, and [itex]\alpha(k_1)(h_2)[/itex] is the element in H that this automorphism sends h_2 to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?