Classifying a group into two different ways

• Thread starter Aaron H.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from an SAT math study guide involving finding the fraction of a group that is both girls and seniors. It is explained that to solve the problem, you must find a fraction that, when added to the given fraction, would make the sum a whole number. The concept of fractions and percentages is also mentioned in relation to the problem.
Aaron H.
http://i49.tinypic.com/2wqu986.png

I don't understand this example. It's from an SAT math study guide. I understand that to find the fraction of the group that is both girls and seniors, 2/3 is multiplied times 2/5. Why is A + B equal to 4/9? Same with A + C.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why is A + B equal to 4/9?

As the problem tells you, the ratio of seniors to juniors is 4:5. If there are 9 students, then 4/9 are seniors and 5/9 are juniors.

Thanks. I had thought of that but I wasn't sure about it. So I guess the idea here is to, when given a fraction for a group, find the fraction that when added would make the sum of the two a whole number. Fractions are decimal numbers, after all. Percentages come to mind as well.

What is classifying?

Classifying is the process of categorizing or organizing objects, ideas, or data into groups or categories based on their shared characteristics or properties. It is a fundamental skill in science and other fields of study.

Why is it important to classify groups?

Classifying groups helps us make sense of the world around us and understand the relationships between different objects or ideas. It also allows us to identify patterns, make predictions, and draw conclusions based on similarities and differences within and between groups.

What are the two main ways of classifying groups?

The two main ways of classifying groups are by characteristics or properties and by function or purpose. The former involves grouping objects based on shared physical, chemical, or biological traits, while the latter involves grouping objects based on their intended use or role.

What are some examples of classifying groups into two different ways?

Examples of classifying groups into two different ways include grouping animals based on their habitat and grouping plants based on their method of reproduction. Another example could be classifying cars based on their fuel source and classifying books based on their genre.

How does classifying groups contribute to scientific research?

Classifying groups is essential in scientific research as it allows scientists to organize and analyze data, identify patterns and relationships, and make accurate predictions and conclusions. It also helps in the development of new theories and understanding of the natural world.