Clausius inequality and irreversible heat transfer

In summary: I found this on-line:In summary, the Clausius inequality states that the heat transferred in an irreversible process will be less than the heat transferred in a reversible process.
Hobold
I don't seem to understand Clausius inequality at all. Really. It was deduced to me that the Clausius inequality is given by

[tex]dS = \frac{\delta Q_i}{T} > 0[/tex]

where Q_i is the irreversible heat transferred to a system. Though I cannot find a way to prove an assertion my teacher said: through Clausius inequality, the irreversible heat to be transferred is lower or equal than through a reversible process.

It really doesn't make any sense to me, can anyone explain?

Science news on Phys.org
The quantity dS is defined as the ratio of the reversibly exchanged heat to the temperature. Just the opposite way you defined it.

Yeah, that's right, I'm sorry. I meant by Clausius inequality

[tex] \frac{Q_i}{T} > 0 [/tex]

Clausius's theorem applies to a closed evolution. Just writing Qi/T>0 is simply wrong. Consider an irreversible engine and focus on the released heat. You easily obtain Qi/T<0. However, if you take into account the complete cycle you get sum (Q/T)<0 (I'm sorry, I know nothing about latex)

Hobold said:
I don't seem to understand Clausius inequality at all. Really. It was deduced to me that the Clausius inequality is given by

[tex]dS = \frac{\delta Q_i}{T} > 0[/tex]
This is incorrect. This is not the definition of change in entropy. The change in entropy is uses the reversible heat flow:

[tex]dS = \frac{\delta Q_{rev}}{T}[/tex]

The change in entropy referred to in the Clausius inequality is the total change in entropy of the system and surroundings during a process. You must use the reversible heat flow for the system and surroundings.

Where the process is irreversible, the total change in entropy will be greater than 0. In order to do the calculation, you must determine the integral of dS for the system on the reversible path between the initial and final states of the system. Then you must do the same for the surroundings.

AM

What is the Clausius inequality?

The Clausius inequality is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics that states that the total change in entropy of a closed system during any process is always greater than or equal to the integral of the heat transfer divided by the temperature at which the heat transfer occurs. In other words, it describes the direction of heat flow in a system and the resulting change in entropy.

What is considered irreversible heat transfer?

Irreversible heat transfer refers to any process in which heat is transferred between two bodies at different temperatures and is not completely reversible. This means that some of the energy is lost as heat and cannot be fully recovered to perform useful work. Examples of irreversible heat transfer include friction, conduction through a finite temperature difference, and chemical reactions.

How is the Clausius inequality used in thermodynamics?

The Clausius inequality is used to determine the maximum theoretical efficiency of a thermodynamic process. It is also used to analyze the direction and extent of heat transfer in a system. This inequality is a key principle in the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of an isolated system always increases over time.

What is an example of an irreversible heat transfer process?

An example of an irreversible heat transfer process is the conversion of heat energy into mechanical energy through the use of a steam engine. In this process, heat is transferred from the steam to the engine, but some of the energy is lost due to friction and other factors, resulting in a decrease in efficiency. This is an irreversible process because the energy cannot be fully recovered to perform the same amount of work.

How does the Clausius inequality relate to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Clausius inequality is a key component of the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of an isolated system always increases over time. This means that the Clausius inequality provides a measure of the direction and magnitude of entropy change in a system, which is essential for understanding the limitations of energy conversion processes.