1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal efficiency: reversible and irreversible machines

1. Aug 11, 2015 #1
    In the proof of Clausius inequality ##\oint\frac{\delta Q}{T}<0## for an irreversible cycle, I always find the fact that the thermal efficiency of an irreversible machine is **stricly less** than the thermal efficiency of a reversible machine, both operating between temperatures ##T_H## and ##T_C##.
    Nevertheless my book and all the resources that I have found prove by reductio ad absurdum that, between the temperatures ##T_H## and ##T_C##, the thermal efficiency of an irreversible machine is (only) **less or equal** to the thermal efficiency of a reversible machine because, if it were strictly greater, the positive work done by an irreversible thermal machinee could be used to activate a reversible machine used as a chiller, and the resulting composed machine would produce a flow of heat from a cold source at the temperature ##T_C## to a hot one at the temperature ##T_H##, violating the second principle of thermodynamics.

How can it be proved that the thermal efficiency of an irreversible machine is strictly less than the thermal efficiency of a reversible machine operating between the same two temperatures ##T_C## and ##T_F##?
    ##\infty## thanks for any answer!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you have machine A exactly at the ideal efficiency, you can use another ideal machine B to revert the system to the previous state. Or just run A backwards. Your irreversible process is now part of a reversible process => contradiction

4. Aug 13, 2015 #3
    Brilliant answer! Thank you very much!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook