Clear a variable in fortran subroutine

In summary: Do you mean that you've created a bug in your code, or that you've changed your mind about how you want to do things and now your code no longer works the way you intended it to?In the latest post, you have...you might want to clarify what you mean by "messed things up." Do you mean that you've created a bug in your code, or that you've changed your mind about how you want to do things and now your code no longer works the way you intended it to?I changed my mind about how I want to do it.
Somefantastik
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to clear a variable inside a subroutine from a calling function. The variable in the subroutine acts as a persistent(MATLAB) or static(C), but once in so many calls I want it to be reset to empty as if the subroutine is being called for the first time.

I can do this in MATLAB by calling the subroutine in a for loop. On the kth run, clear functions, call subroutine. The subroutine is now called with persistent variables cleared:

function y = foo(a)
n = 6;
k = 3;
for ii = 1:n
if ii == k
clear functions​
end
x(ii) = subfoo(a)​
end

Any help would be appreciated,

Candice

Technology news on Phys.org
Go ahead and post your Fortran code to get a better understanding of what you mean and are trying to do.

Other than that, you could write your function in a way that takes an additional argument, say, of logical type...if it is set to true, the function behaves as if it was the very first time is being called; if it is false, it does not.

Alternately, you could write a module with its set of variables and a couple of functions, one you call to perform something, the other one to reset variables to their initial values.

Hi gsal, thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, I cannot post my code, and I cannot modify the subroutine in any way (I am unit testing it).

If I write a module with its set of variables to reset to initial values, can I call that from my parent function? Or are those variable names only pointing to the correct place in memory while in the subroutine? I cannot reset the variables inside my subroutine as I cannot modify my subroutine.

I was thinking something like this
Code:
module bla
integer :: b = 0
contains
subroutine bla_reset()
   b = 0
end subroutine bla_reset()
function bla_do()
   b = b + 3
   return b
end function bla_do()
end module bla
Then, in reference to your MATLAB code that you posted above, instead of "clear functions" you do "call bla_reset()" and instead of "x(ii) = subfoo(a)" you do "x(ii) = bla_do(a).

gsal said:
I was thinking something like this
Code:
module bla
integer :: b = 0
contains
subroutine bla_reset()
   b = 0
function bla_do()
   b = b + 3
   return b
end function bla_do()
end module bla
Then, in reference to your MATLAB code that you posted above, instead of "clear functions" you do "call bla_reset()" and instead of "x(ii) = subfoo(a)" you do "x(ii) = bla_do(a).

will this work if the variable b belongs solely to (and is not returned by) bla_do? In my subroutine (bla_do), it is declared equal to 1. Like this:
Code:
module bla
integer  b 
contains
subroutine bla_reset()
   b = 1
function bla_do()
integer  b \1\
   b = b + 3
end function bla_do()
end module bla

I'm learning on-the-fly how fortran's "workspace" (for lack of a better term) is available between functions.

I would remove the integer declaration inside bla_do...otherwise, it looks like you keep re-initailizing it every call...instead, let it keep increasing by 3 every time you call ...then, once in a while, you call bla_reset...

...if I understand what you are trying to do

Because I am testing bla_do(), I can't modify it. So I can't remove the declaration in the beginning. But I am certain that the way the fortran is set up in my real code, that variable is declared equal to 1 only on the first iteration ; thereafter it takes on the last value when the function was called previously.

My intention, is to (at some point inside a forloop that calls bla_do) reset that variable so when bla_do() is called, it acts as it would the first time it is called. It's a weird thing to need; it is an artifact of testing bla_do rather than developing.

Code:
module bla
integer  b
for i = 1:100
if i = 50
   CALL bla_reset() //reset b back to 1 at iteration 50
endif
CALL bla_do() // do whatever blah does
end module bla

subroutine bla_reset()
   b = 1
subroutine  bla_do()
integer  b \1\ //this syntax should set b = 1 only on first call; otherwise b retains value from last call (or hopefully from when it is set to 1 in bla_reset)
   b = b + 3
end subroutine bla_do()

I'm curious that b can be reset in the separate subroutine bla_reset and it is felt by bla_do, even when bla_reset and bla_do don't have b as input or output arguments.

This thing about bla_reset and bla_do not needing to declare b, yet being aware of it, is a benefit of using modules...but I see in your latest post that you have messed things up :-(

First, you have kicked bla_reset and bla_do out of the module...you should go back and review how I did it...inside the module but after the "contains" keyword.

Also, a module is not a main program...you should take the code you have in the module (latest post) and make it a separate main procedure, like
Code:
module bla
end module bla

program main
   use bla
   for i = 1:100
   if i = 50
      CALL bla_reset() //reset b back to 1 at iteration 50
   endif
   CALL bla_do() // do whatever bla does
end program main

Ah, I see. Unfortunately bla_do() is a subroutine, and I can't touch it (I must view it as a black box), so I can't change it into a module. I think because of this problem, I can't use the method you are suggesting.

If the persistent variables are in a global common block, you can easily include them and clear them using another subroutine. Otherwise, you may have to get the address of the persistent variables by finding the addresses in the binary or compiler outputs and write a subroutine that pokes initial values into those addresses. The first situation is not a difficult task for any programmer, but the second situation will require a more expert programmer. I'm afraid that your code is probably the second situation.

You may be better off with a script or program that will terminate the program under test and restart it clean. That is the best way to do a series of formal tests anyway.

Hi FactChecker; thank you for your response. Yes it now seems that I will run the unit tests under several use-cases and try to merge the profiling results.

What is the purpose of clearing a variable in a Fortran subroutine?

The purpose of clearing a variable in a Fortran subroutine is to remove any existing value or data stored in that variable. This allows the variable to be used again without any previous values affecting the new calculations or processes.

How can I clear a variable in a Fortran subroutine?

To clear a variable in a Fortran subroutine, you can use the "nullify" statement followed by the name of the variable. This will remove any existing values or data stored in the variable.

Can I clear multiple variables in a Fortran subroutine at once?

Yes, you can clear multiple variables in a Fortran subroutine at once by using the "nullify" statement followed by a list of variable names separated by commas. This will clear all the listed variables at the same time.

Do I need to clear a variable before using it in a Fortran subroutine?

It is not necessary to clear a variable before using it in a Fortran subroutine. However, if the variable already contains a value that may affect the calculations or processes, it is recommended to clear it first to ensure accurate results.

What happens if I don't clear a variable in a Fortran subroutine?

If you don't clear a variable in a Fortran subroutine, the variable will retain its previous value or data. This can lead to incorrect calculations or processes if the stored value is not relevant to the current operation.