Clearing the path to Differential Equations

In summary, the speaker's school requires them to take Calculus 3 and one semester of linear algebra before starting differential equations. They are questioning if this is necessary and if there are any other recommendations for their course sequence. Some people have advised taking Calculus 3 before physics, but there is no consensus on the best order for coursework. However, the speaker mentions that they have taken differential equations before linear algebra and have done well. They also note that their advisor has all physics majors following a similar sequence. Other speakers mention that their curriculum also requires Calculus 3 and linear algebra before differential equations, but these classes may be more challenging than what their friends in engineering have taken.
torquemada
According to my school, I got to take calc 3 and 1 semester of linear algebra before i can start differential equations. Is this so? Anything else you would advise to add? Or is this too much and I can deal with less? I ask because many have advised calc 3 before any physics even though my school only requires calc 1, so it seems there isn't total consensus on the best/correct sequence for coursework. Any feedback is appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the content of each of your math classes, obviously, but I took differential equations before I took linear algebra and did fine.

Calc 3 definitely isn't required to start learning physics.

Yea really depends. At my school the ODE class only has Calc 2 as a prereq. The linear algebra stuff needed is kinda incorporated into the textbook as far as I see.

Partial Derivatives have shown up a couple times already (just started the class) and I'm taking Calc III concurrently. Took me about a minute to figure them out though.

My course outline looks like this:
last semester: calc 1 + gen physics A w/ calculus
this semester: calc 2 + gen physics B w/ calculus
next semester: Differential Equations + physics electives
semester after: calc 3 + physics electives
semester after: going to take linear algebra (even though not required for physics major, it's one of the few things missing from me being a dual math major) + physics electives

My advisor has all the physics majors set up like this.

torquemada,
I got similar situations..
My curriculum requires me to take Calc 3 and Linear Algebra before Differential Equation
But from my understanding those classes are somewhat tougher than my friends in engineering took..

Calc 3 is usually involved in intro EM, so some background can be helpful...

1. What are Differential Equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model many natural phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is it important to clear the path to Differential Equations?

Clearing the path to Differential Equations involves developing a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in topics such as calculus and linear algebra. This is important because Differential Equations build upon these concepts and require a solid understanding of them to be effectively solved and applied.

3. What are some real-world applications of Differential Equations?

Differential Equations are used to model a wide range of phenomena in various fields. Some examples include predicting population growth, analyzing the spread of diseases, understanding the behavior of electric circuits, and solving problems in fluid dynamics.

4. What are some common techniques for solving Differential Equations?

Some common techniques for solving Differential Equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Additionally, there are numerical methods, such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods, that are used to approximate solutions to more complex equations.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving Differential Equations?

To improve your skills in solving Differential Equations, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of equations and techniques for solving them. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can be beneficial in gaining a deeper understanding of the subject.