Climate science or related technologies?

In summary, the more science we do, the better our models will get at predicting weather and climate. However, technology may be more prudent right now in terms of addressing the problems.
node02
I just started studying physics in undergrad and am considering working on Earth systems/climate. How much more do you think we can do in terms of science? Surely a lot, but maybe technology (energy, carbon capture) is more prudent right now. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
We can't predict the weather tomorrow with total accuracy. Let alone the climate. But weather and climate models have been improving. By how much? I don't know.
Technology is more prudent? For what?

Often, applications that are economically viable are the bottleneck of new technologies.

Asteropaeus said:
We can't predict the weather tomorrow with total accuracy. Let alone the climate. But weather and climate models have been improving. By how much? I don't know.
Technology is more prudent? For what?

Often, applications that are economically viable are the bottleneck of new technologies.
More prudent to addressing the problems than science. I have moral assumptions about the suffering linked to climate change. For example, reducing atmospheric CO2 and therefore the overall effects of global warming would seem more prudent than getting more accuracy/precision in weather/climate models. It would sort of "chop closer to the roots." Whether that's true or not, I don't know. Perhaps better models is more feasible. I'm such a newbie that I haven't even considered economics.

In any case, thanks for replying.

node02 said:
I just started studying physics in undergrad and am considering working on Earth systems/climate. How much more do you think we can do in terms of science? Surely a lot, but maybe technology (energy, carbon capture) is more prudent right now. Thanks.

One of my colleagues does 'cloud physics'- the dynamics of cumulus cloud fields. It's a lot of multiscale modeling, he's an expert in Large Eddy Simulations (LES).

https://www.tropos.de/en/research/a...luence-on-cloud-processes/les-cloud-modeling/

http://sites.agu.org/ The journals of the American Geophysical Union can give you a good idea of the linkage of physics to climate and Earth systems. I've been all over the place within the scope of Earth systems science, including geoneutrinos and cosmic rays, the magnetosphere, and some other areas. All this while being a member of the Global Environmental Change Focus Group. The group started out as "Global Warming" then changed its name to "Climate Change" and is now "Global Environmental Change" That last name reflects the understanding that things are happening that aren't directly measurable within the context of climate change. Things such as the movement of carbon in the mantle, the nature of that carbon, and ultimately touches on what some of us call "quantum geophysics".

Related to Climate science or related technologies?

1. What is the difference between climate and weather?

Climate refers to the long-term patterns of temperature, precipitation, and other weather conditions in a specific region. Weather, on the other hand, is the short-term state of the atmosphere at a particular time and place. Climate change refers to long-term changes in the Earth's climate, while weather can change quickly and frequently.

2. How do scientists measure and track climate change?

Scientists use various methods to measure and track climate change, including collecting data from weather stations, satellites, and ocean buoys. They also use tree rings, ice cores, and other natural records to study past climate patterns. By analyzing these data, scientists can determine how the Earth's climate has changed over time and make predictions for the future.

3. What is the main cause of climate change?

The main cause of climate change is the increase in greenhouse gases in the Earth's atmosphere, primarily from human activities such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation. These gases trap heat in the atmosphere, leading to a rise in global temperatures and changes in weather patterns.

4. Can we reverse the effects of climate change?

While it is not possible to completely reverse the effects of climate change, we can take steps to mitigate its impacts. This can include reducing greenhouse gas emissions, transitioning to renewable energy sources, and implementing sustainable land and resource management practices. It is important for individuals, businesses, and governments to work together to address climate change and its effects.

5. How do climate scientists make predictions about future climate?

Climate scientists use computer models to simulate different scenarios and predict future climate patterns. These models take into account various factors, such as greenhouse gas emissions, changes in land use, and natural climate cycles. While these predictions may not be exact, they can help inform decision-making and planning for potential impacts of climate change.