Closed loop Servomechanism problem

In summary: He has been given a definition and needs to prove it using information about the inertia of a turbine blade, viscous damped rotation, and torque motor. He is trying to reverse engineer the system and has deduced that there may be an error in the question paper. He appreciates any advice on how to approach the problem. In summary, Alex is seeking help with understanding and solving a problem involving a closed loop feedback system.
ATRIX
1. Homework Statement [/b]

Hey Guys

Firstly thanks for looking, I really appreciate any help or interest with my problem.

The problem is a closed loop feedback system it's unlike any I have come across before.

I have been given the definition which is as follows:-

G(t)^-1 = 2.5 x 10 ^-3 {(1-400k)}D^2+10D+400

i have to prove it with the following information.

I = Inertia of the turbine blade is = 1kg/m
c.ω= viscous Damped rotation (hysteresis) = 10 rad/s Nm
T = Torque motor= 400[e + k d^2θ/dt^2] Nm
e=(θin-θout) = angular position error in rads between the input and output shaft
k.d^2θout/dt^2= defines the additional feedback signal, accelerometer i am guessing

The definition or the answer that we are trying to work it into is in D notation, or operator D. this is where we can replace the derivatives of angular acceleration or position with D
there fore
D = dθ/dt
D^2 = d^2θ/dt^2

Homework Equations

general format of second order system

θout/θin = k/(1/ωn^2)D^2+(2ζ/ωn)D+1

this is a general solution

Zeta is a damping coeff of the system

Newton's 2nd law

∑T=∑I.α

The Attempt at a Solution

As for the work i have carried out, is that i am trying to reverse engineer the definition of the system to get the numbers, i can see that the answer is quadratic, D^2 and D and 400. but can not seem to get from the original boundary conditions to there. i have also tried to split the loops up into two. this did not work for me.

using basic control algebra i have deduced that the accelerometor should e k. d^2θ/dt^2 not
k.d^2θout/dt^2 this i believe is a mistake on my question paper.

thanks for looking. any advice would be welcomed.

Atrix

Attachments

• servofeedback.docx
    48 KB · Views: 239
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry I did not mention that there is as uploaded visual representation to help understanding, many thanks
Alex

What is a closed loop servomechanism?

A closed loop servomechanism is a system used in control engineering to automatically adjust a process or system based on feedback from sensors. It consists of a controller, sensors, and actuators to measure and manipulate the system.

How does a closed loop servomechanism work?

The servomechanism continuously monitors the system's output and compares it to a desired setpoint. The controller then calculates the appropriate adjustments needed to bring the system closer to the setpoint, and the actuators carry out these adjustments.

What are the advantages of using a closed loop servomechanism?

The use of feedback allows for more precise and accurate control of a system. It also enables the system to adapt to changes and disturbances, leading to improved stability and performance.

What are some common problems with closed loop servomechanisms?

One common problem is instability, where the system oscillates around the setpoint and is unable to reach a steady state. Another problem is control saturation, where the actuators are unable to carry out the necessary adjustments, leading to poor control performance.

How can closed loop servomechanism problems be resolved?

To address instability, the controller's parameters can be adjusted to improve the system's response. Control saturation can be addressed by using higher-powered actuators or implementing anti-windup measures in the controller. It is also essential to regularly calibrate and maintain the sensors and actuators to ensure accurate feedback and control.