CMT vs HEP-PH Research: Which is Better for Grad School?

• Thread starter metapuff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the OP is considering a roundabout route in graduate school to get formal hep-th training. One route is to work with a well-known professor in CMT, but the OP is also interested in working with a less known professor in hep-ph. The OP is finishing their second year and has written a paper in astrophysics and cosmology. They are considering working with a less known professor in hep-ph because they feel that the math they would learn in the CMT research would be useful, but the hep-ph research might be more topical. The year the OP is is important because they are considering applying to graduate school in the next year. The OP is worried about switching to a different field if they
metapuff
I want to do hep-th in grad school (like everyone else!). My school doesn't have anyone working in formal hep-th, so I need to take a roundabout track in research (I've been working in cosmology recently). I have two options:

work with a well-known prof in CMT (very mathematical)
work with a less known prof in hep-ph (blending experiment and theory)

which seems better suited if I'm aiming for hep-th in grad school? The math that I'd get in the CMT research would be nice, but the hep-ph research might be a little more topical. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
What year are you? Can you produce something substantial, like a publication, before you graduate?

Also why are you interested in a field which has substantially less good data to play with than many other interesting fields, from condensed matter to biophysics to astrophysics? Good physicists seem to be people who like to model quality data, not people who are driven by philosophical positions.

I'm finishing my second year. I've written a paper in astrophysics / cosmology type stuff, and getting a paper out with the hep-ph professor seems like a reasonable expectation. Not sure about the CMT guy though.

I'm interested in hep-th because I really like pure math, and want to be able to apply the algebraic / differential geometry I've been learning to physics. I totally agree that there's more "going on" in other areas of physics (i.e. astro) in terms of experimental progress and science being done. Ideally, I'd be interested in another field. But hey, nothing to be done.

Well this thread is specifically about what sort of research will help you most with graduate school, so to stay on topic I will say the following: absolutely work with the experimentalist/phenomenologist in hep-ph, not because it will help you more in getting to do hep theory, but because it will provide you with perspective you really need.

As a disclaimer I was a huge hep-ph fan, but then became completely disillusioned with the subject after working in an experimental hep lab, discovering that theorists are utterly impotent without good data (and they have no good data in hep th), and working in a biophysics lab and discovering that there is little difference between doing numerical protein simulations and numerical QFT simulations. Working for the experimentalist will probably do more good for you than a first author CMT pub in physical review.

CMT can be just as mathematical and abstract as fields like string theory. Often we use ideas from areas like topology, geometry, group theory, etc. Condensed matter also very heavily used QFT and even CFT in many areas. However, unlike string theory, many of these topics have been experimentally verified. Take the quantum spin Hall effect and 3D topological insulators. Those where predicted theoretically and subsequently verified by experiment. Same as spin liquids which exhibit some very exotic quantum phenomena.

I personally would work with the CMT professor. CMT is a booming these days as people are starting to realize that it can be both incredibly elegant and experimentally realizable. In fact, a lot of people from HET have switched to CMT or have started doing some research in it.

I disagree that a first author publication in CMT won't help you that much. That's exactly how I was when I was applying to grad schools and I did very well in admissions. It will also be very helpful when applying for fellowships as well.

Thanks for the replies! CMT is booming, especially at my school. I was definitely leaning towards the CMT guy, as it looks like he's doing some cool group theory stuff in frustrated magnetism. However, I've written some papers in astro / cosmology and am worried that a switch to CMT might make it seem like I lack focus. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Sure, a first author paper in CMT published in physical review will probably get you into most of the top ten schools; that wasn't the point of my statement, which was to say that getting perspective on the state of hep-th in an experiment/phenomenology lab would be more beneficial to the OP as an individual.

Well it's always good to have some work in experiment so you appreciate how things work in the real world. I did my first summer in CME.

Okay, I'm going with the CMT guy. Going to get my ass kicked doing super hard integrals all summer... psyched! Hopefully it'll be character-building.

What is CMT and HEP-PH research?

CMT stands for Condensed Matter Theory, which is a branch of physics that focuses on studying the properties of matter in its condensed state, such as solids and liquids. HEP-PH stands for High Energy Physics-Phenomenology, which is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental particles and forces in the universe.

Which field is better for grad school?

It ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. Both CMT and HEP-PH research are highly specialized and competitive fields, so it's important to choose the one that aligns with your strengths and passions.

What are the differences between CMT and HEP-PH research?

While both fields are rooted in theoretical physics, the main difference lies in the scale at which they operate. CMT research focuses on the behavior of matter at the macroscopic level, while HEP-PH research delves into the subatomic level. Additionally, CMT research often involves collaborations with experimentalists, while HEP-PH research is primarily theoretical.

What skills are necessary for success in CMT and HEP-PH research?

Both fields require a strong foundation in mathematics, as well as analytical and critical thinking skills. In CMT research, knowledge of computer programming and simulation techniques may also be beneficial. In HEP-PH research, proficiency in particle accelerator physics and data analysis is crucial.

Are there any career opportunities in CMT and HEP-PH research?

Yes, there are many career opportunities for individuals with advanced degrees in CMT and HEP-PH research. Graduates can pursue careers in academia, research institutions, government agencies, or private companies. Additionally, skills gained in these fields, such as problem-solving and data analysis, are highly transferable and valuable in various industries.