CO2 laser and sigarette smoke question

In summary, the joke was to breathe cigarette smoke into the laser focus area to create a "sigarette rocket". The reason the smoke was directed away from the laser was because the pressure from the smoke particles was acting like an absorption front and pushing the particles towards the laser.
Minich
In 1975 I've got the job in lab constructing middle power one mode CO2 lasers for outer space object location (they used C and O isotopes for reducing losses in atmosfere).

The main joke for newbies of our lab's boss (Yuri Vasilievich Pechenin) was to breathe sigarette smoke from mouth into focus area of operating laser (1 to 3 kilowatt output radiation ordinary).

And there was a question:

Why was the smoke rocketed from focus area in opposite direction (from focus to laser)?

I don't remember the reason. Who can help?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Sure would like to see a video of this.

Unfortunatly in this day and age they will not let us any where near our lasers with a cigerett in hand (or mouth for that matter!)

Our boss wanted to show us that we work in proper place. And we worked with greate emotion and proud that we make best in the world lasers those days :)))

And lasers were not scientific installations only, they were produced in series at the plant. They were industrial lasers.

We were fascinated by creative atmosfere.We were aheard of laser groups in USSR, headed by Nobel Prize wiiners Basov and Prochorov (in CO2 line)..

I think video of those days are for restricted access only.

Perhaps a hefty transfer of momentum from the photons? According to widely cited academic sources (XKCD) it takes 1.21GW/m^2 to levitate a squirrel of mass 0.7kg. Consider that gas particles have masses lower by several orders of magnitude ;)

Also, it might be a heat/pressure wave. When I place something into the focal point of a reasonably high powered laser it begins to emit white light.

Last edited:
To dst.

I remember it is connected with the temperature of spots on sigarett smoke bit and reactive force due to sigarette bit burning. But why is temperature on focus side higher?

Sigarette bit in laser beam is burning inhomogeneosly and behaves like rocket.

Excuse my poor english. I had never been outside former USSR and had never practice in written english.

I'll have a go at this;

If the laser spot hits the smoke particles they will heat up, if sufficient heat is imparted on the particles they will ionize forming a plasma.

This heated vapor at first directs pressure in all directions, however, the plasma absorbs most of the incident light, so the front of heated dusted partciles traveling towards the laser acts as an absorption front fot the laser energy, which in turn exerts pressure towards the laser.

In simple terms, there is an absorbing front created by the smoke plasma which travels towards the laser by the expansion of the heated gas.

Why doesn't it go in all directions? Simply because the point of absorption is getting closer and closer to the laser.

Does this help?

1. How does a CO2 laser work?

A CO2 laser uses a gas mixture of carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and helium to produce a high-powered infrared light beam. This beam is amplified and focused through mirrors and lenses to create intense heat and energy, which can be used for cutting, welding, or vaporizing materials.

2. Can a CO2 laser be used to remove cigarette smoke from the air?

No, a CO2 laser is not designed to remove smoke from the air. While it can be used for cutting or vaporizing materials, it does not have the ability to filter or purify the air.

3. How does cigarette smoke affect a CO2 laser's performance?

Cigarette smoke can negatively impact a CO2 laser's performance by reducing the clarity and intensity of the laser beam. The smoke particles can scatter and absorb the light, resulting in a weaker beam that is less effective for cutting or welding.

4. Is cigarette smoke harmful to a CO2 laser?

Yes, cigarette smoke can be harmful to a CO2 laser by reducing its performance and potentially damaging its components. Smoke particles can also build up on the mirrors and lenses, requiring more frequent cleaning and maintenance.

5. Can a CO2 laser be used to detect cigarette smoke?

While a CO2 laser can interact with smoke particles, it is not designed to detect them. Other types of sensors, such as infrared or optical sensors, are more commonly used for smoke detection.